Chapter 30: What's Mine is Yours, Actually.

"Well done. I am most impressed at the holistic approach to Josie's problems." Gladys drew me over to a stone bench. "You covered the social, emotional and the practical."

I wrapped my arms around my chest, not bothering to asking how she knew.

"Most importantly, you never stopped caring. Even when Josie's life became bearable, you instinctively knew the most important thing at stake was not the financial prize, but her future self."

I'd what? "What do you mean, Gladys?"

Gladys laughed triumphantly and then sighed affectionately. "Josie is destined for great things. Glebe house will pale into insignificance compared to the lives she will save."

I squinted sceptical. "You said that about Robbie."

"Take a look one day, in that lovely crystal ball of mine Edgar found for you. There will be a vision. It will not be a future set in stone; nonetheless, you will see an honest interpretation of a future that can be. As you reunited Josie with your family, it is possible she will guide Robert and inspire him to do great things too. That young man has the confidence to take on the world..." she huffed. "Perhaps a little more than was needed, Araminta."

"Oh."

Gladys stroked my hair and smiled indulgently. "Remember though. It's not just about the 'here and now' but also about the 'if or when'."

I nodded with my most sagely expression as Gladys stood up and held out her hand.

"And now, by the time the first full moon sets after your first calling is fulfilled, your power will fix, you will be full Cumendre. And that is tonight."

"I don't... how?"

She smiled. "Josie, it seems was your first case and yet your final test. Magic knows when it truly has a home in a supernatural being. It will rest with you until you rest in peace."

"Oh. Is that all? Why couldn't you tell me before?"

Gladys gave one of her knowing nods. "Purer hearts have been blackened by the thought of achieving immortality quickly. How easy it is to act rash when one believes it will solve the problem and fix power."

I nodded. "It needed to be about my charge, not my power."

"Exactly." She swept her arms around. "Before me the dwelling."

And I found myself outside the cellar of Jasmine Cottage, though my feet were still firmly on the stone slabs of the Manor's pagoda.

"Come, my child. I would like to show you the cellar. I think you'll be surprised.

A chandelier in the centre of the room began to brighten slowly, revealing a chamber half the size of Jasmine Cottage with wall-to-wall shelves, filled with books and jars, strange objects and photographs.

"Nice one, Gladys. It's changed. No wine?"

"I believe your aunt had the wine."

"Oh." I paused picking up a photo of a two beautiful women in long dresses, and spiral bracelets standing gracefully outside Jasmine cottage. "Great Aunt Minty and - it's you."

She put her hand on my shoulder. "Yes. Taken when we were a little younger. I think that was eighteen hundred and eighty-eight, or nine."

"Who took the photo?"

Gladys didn't answer. She swept over to the wall, where a window peeked through the grass above, and pointed to an old writing bureau. "Minty's letters and diaries are kept in a compartment in here. Read them for yourself. I give you permission to read my letters too. For now, know this is a room waiting to be used." Gladys raised her chin. "It is a workshop, a study, a factory for invention and lab of experimentation. It is yours, as is the cottage."