Chapter 4: Epiphany

Geography was usually uneventful. I could just about find Wales on the map. Landforms didn't float my boat, and I felt seriously panicky discussing earthquakes. In geography, I re-thought the end of Shakespeare's plays, so they're not so tragic. King Lear reached Cordelia in time, or Romeo and Juliet's family talked before it all went suicidal.

This lesson was different. Even Pete looked uneasy as he sat at the table in front of us. I automatically felt for the charm in my pocket.

The talk on erosion was short. The lecture on 'why no one (except Zara) was up to speed with the assignment', was very long. Eventually, we were left to our own devices; erosion abandoned and the class told to catch up. Then individual interrogations began.

Ten minutes until the end of session, Pete walked sullenly back to his seat. I hadn't thought he cared about passing anything, let alone geography, but I was wrong. He slouched in his chair. Always such a joker, I'd never seen him put out, lost or upset.

A thought came into my head. It flitted in like a leaf caught up in a draught. 'He wants to walk out and give up,' I said, under my breath.

Zara looked at me before returning back to her project. 

I pretended to write, scribbling aimlessly and occasionally glancing at Pete. Reluctant tears welled behind his eyes. He emitted desolation and failure.

I kicked Zara. She looked up sharply. My eyes flicked towards Pete, her gaze followed. Zara's eyes melted and her stiff body relaxed as she noticed the look on his face. Maybe everything I felt, was evident in his morbid expression.

With the bell due to go, I had this now or never feeling.

"Pete." I flicked a pen lid at his back; he didn't turn. "What's up?"

"Bloody going to fail, aren't I," he said without much feeling.

"Didn't think you cared," I said trying to provoke a reaction.

He turned and leant his arm on the back of his chair. "I don't. Can't stand geography, but it's the only other one I'm likely to pass to get the grades to get to college." He picked up the pen and looked around. No one was watching. The class were all wrapped up in their own problems.

"What do you want to do at college?" Zara asked unusually softly. Pete looked up and his eyes brightened. I don't think Pete and Zara had ever directly spoken to each other before. I didn't think he considered her a person, more of a robot that answered the teacher's questions, so the rest of us didn't have to.

"Engineering. I can do it, you know."

I knew Pete was bright; his constant classroom entertaining was quick, witty and clever. I went to speak, Zara got there first.

"We know Pete, it's obvious. I merely think that being Pete takes up more time then it should. Must be hard to fit in schoolwork.

He laughed.

"Zar's good at Geography," I said opening my pencil-case.

"Zara's good at everything," Pete joked.

Zara glanced at me then once again sat up straight. She picked up her pen and started writing. "I could help, if you like?"

I continued searching for a green biro and trying not to smile. I pulled out a piece of paper that kept getting in the way. It was Zara's wish, with my red-rune charm drawn on the back. Hiding my hands in the pencil-case, I ran my finger over the red markings.

Pete leant forward seriously. "Would You? I mean yeah, thanks. I need this. I'm not coming back to this hell hole."

"It's not that bad Pete," I said, before Zara said it and spoilt everything.