Chapter 22: Spelling Mistakes (part 2)

In the first forty-eight hours, my suspended-from-school brother got out his old magnifying glass, put aside his street cred and read to me. I could hear him struggling. And when my tears leaked because I felt his anguish, he hugged me, thinking that I needed comforting due to ill health. I don't think I've ever loved my brother so much.

Edgar was close by, but I never saw him. Only once did I sense him in the same room as me, physically. A strand of hair was lifted from my face and tucked behind my ear. A touch so gentle, it could've been the breeze from the gap in window... then nothing.

Monday, I sat in bed and wrote a letter to 'Captain Ferndale', saying that a copy of Lieutenant Roberts will had been found during a clear out. As it superseded an earlier will, the family were wondering if the original is located on army premises. I signed it from Gladys Jones of Jasmine Cottage.

Instead of surfing the net, I surfed the Crystal ball... there was a book, a computer and a very old dress; a murky figure became Josie, twirling happily in a circle. I struggled with the meaning, but guessed she still needed help and made a mental note to check in on her.

But I felt empty; probably because of the flu, and by Wednesday, I was glad to get back to school, though I could barely lift my bag and my journey seemed miles longer.

"How did you do with the 'Will' problem?" Zara, seeing me struggling, took my rucksack and threw it over her shoulder. "You look like a gust will blow you over."

"Couldn't stomach breakfast, but I sent a letter by post to the army and transferred the newly forged Last Will and Testament into a storage box."

"Excellent. And did you finish off the history assignment?"

"No."

"So, was Ed lovely and sympathetic? Did you get flowers for being ill?" She grinned eagerly at me.

A little surprised at Zara ignoring my lack of studying, I took a few seconds to answer. "Um, I'm not seeing Ed anymore. I never really was." And it hurt to say it. 

Zara was genuinely disappointed, as if I'd ruined plans for a double date. "What about Robbie?"

"Flowers, what do you think?"

"I mean is he okay after the fight and eye stuff?"

"There's no appointment until Saturday, but he's back in school tomorrow." I yawned. And found myself studying Tammy and Marie. With Iona gone and Zara out of reach, there was little cannon fodder left. Connie sat in front, unaware that her friends were rolling bits of paper up and throwing it in her curly black hair.

"Mirror-back all you two do, think and say,

It will stick on you for one whole day. Ætberan."

*

Friday evening came beautifully quick on the actual day itself, after a dull few days in which everyone I knew seemed preoccupied with one aspect of life or another.

Reluctant to tell Mum I was out with George, I left the house in jeans and trainers, as if ready for an evening in with Zara. But Jasmine Cottage was my first destination. I felt certain Gladys was back.

Gladys opened the door, her smile subdued. "Welcome, I thought you would sense my return. Knowing you were in safe hands made my essential journey possible." The smile dropped and age crept across her face.

"Nothing sad I hope?"

"Yes and no. Another of my dear friends has chosen to release themselves from their immortality and become one with the universe. I am feeling my age."