The Secret (edited)

AN- Like the character list? :) 

 We were sitting at the table when Steve was telling a story about going to university, he was one of the reasons that I wanted to go to more than just high school. I wanted to be like my adopted brother, he would talk about it and he seemed so convinced that he was going to do something big and that is what I wanted. I wanted to be so convinced that I could make a difference in the world.

He was like my hero, I never told him that, I was thinking about the time that he saved my life, it was a chilling day.

"Steve?" I said interupting his story about one of his courses.

"Yeah sis?" He responded.

"Will you teach me how to fight with more than just a crossbow? I know Derek said not too but ever since THAT night I think I should. I wont always look like an extra on the walking dead" I asked him.

"Course lil sis." He said. Everybody was looking at us after I explained to Mark and his family that I knew his brothers before him they seemed to except the pet names both of them called me. I was waiting for someone to ask what I was talking about. When I was about to move on from the topic someone did ask.

"What do you mean by 'That night' dear?" Mark's mom asked me or Steve.

I started the story because I knew Steve never felt comfortable saying what he did for me, even though no one thought badly of him.

"Well." I said starting my story, "One night I went on a run, I was just starting to shift and you know that we feel uncomfortable when we arent in motion after that. I had my music up too high and I didnt hear anyone behind me. A man came behind me, he was obviously drunk or high and wasn't in his right mind he also lost his mate recently. BUT he grabbed me and he threw me into his old truck. Since I looked like his recently passed mate he thought I was her. He tried having sex with me in his truck, I have never really been good at fighting without weapons and I couldn't shift on command yet, so I was stuck where I have he touched me for about an hour before things got too serious. He was about to... When Steve came out of nowhere and pulled him off of me. Before he could start.. yeah.." I trailed off on the end not really wanting to explain how he had my pants around my ankles and had everything out. I know that it could have been a lot worse. 

Steve looked at me, I didnt know if I should tell them that he shifted in front of me and so did the man and he brutally murdered him. I knew he felt rage ever since then, only my family and Steve knew about this. We alerted the alpha of the pack that he was in, and he didn't try to kill Steve. He understood thankfully. I think this is another reason that my parent's didn't want me out of the house.

Nobody said anything, I felt Mark shaking in anger next to me.

"He's dead Mark, get over it," Steve said calmly like he never killed anybody like it was a fact. I was impressed that Steve didn't shift when he heard this story, he use to when I had to explain it. I smiled at Steve while the rest of the family just sat there. 

He and I made our peace with the situation. There is no use in letting the fear and anger get to me anymore. I won't lie and say that some nights I just lie awake and think of the pain in that mans eyes or the blood. Knowing Mark now makes me understand why he allowed himself to go insane. There is really no other option once your mate leaves you. Mate's are a blessing in the way that they give you the purest love you will ever get but they are a curse because that love can be ripped away from you. 

I saw tears running down Mark's mom's face. "Ma'am I owe your son my life, I knew that I would not have been able to escape if he didn't save me," I said simply I wanted her to feel better. Mark was just holding my hand, I ran my thumb over his skin. He seemed calm enough, I leaned into him. I just wanted to rest, that is all. Just a little sleep. All of sudden my phone went off, I looked down at the screen.

I showed Mark the message and he did a stiff nod. "Well my friend just had her baby, and she needs me to come over to help. I am sorry to cut this dinner short." I said, everybody understood. "Oh, Steve do you want to see Derek?" I asked him he stood up and went to go get his coat, I took this as a yes.

I texted Mia back

"Kayy :) but I am bringing Derek's old friend along."

I grabbed Mark's hand and made his stand up, he snapped out of whatever funk he was in and we left. I went into my car, I would not let ANYONE drive my baby. So when the guys started complaining I just shushed them. I turned on my iPod and cranked it up loud. I giggled as I pulled out of the long driveway onto the highway.

We all sang along terribly to one of the songs that were playing, it was actually a really nice moment. I love this family, honestly, I am glad that I am mates with Mark. I feel like having a mate was not the death sentence to my life that I thought it was.