Episode 67: Stalker

Seo Ji-eun greeted her manager as usual in front of her house and went to the café in front of her house where she always stops by to order coffee.

“Thank you.”

Smiling, she greeted and carried her coffee while opening the door to leave.

The café part-timer stared blankly at Ji-eun’s figure, then the café owner chuckled and nudged the part-timer’s side.

“Is that young lady so nice? She’s a regular customer, you should at least respond when she greets you.”

“Boss, I’ll just quickly run to the supermarket for a moment. My mother has some errands.”

“Really? Since there are no customers anyway, hurry back.”

Listening to the boss’s words, the part-timer took off his apron and left the café with a stiff face.

Meanwhile, Ji-eun, at the site, saw her reflection on the field monitor and worried that she seemed to have gained a bit of weight recently.

So, although she usually drank café mocha, today she ordered only Americano without syrup.

Ji-eun hesitated as she held the coffee, about to press the elevator button.

She checked her reflection in the mirror next to the elevator, puffing out her cheeks.

“Should I take the stairs today? Hm, why does it feel like my cheeks are getting chubby?”

In the end, she didn’t press the elevator button and went up to her house using the stairs.

Step by step,

While panting heavily as she climbed, Ji-eun felt something strange.

Whenever she moved her feet about two floors below, it felt like someone was following her up the stairs, and when she paused for a moment due to exhaustion, it felt like even her steps stopped.

‘Perhaps it’s just a hallucination caused by the echoing sound on the stairs, right…?’

She started walking again, and footsteps followed from behind.

No matter how much she thought about it, it didn’t seem like the sound was distorted.

Ji-eun suddenly stopped her steps on a few stairs.

Step by step.

It clearly stopped a beat later than she did.

Suddenly, a chill ran down Ji-eun’s spine, and with all her might, she leaped up the stairs.

Then, from behind, loud footsteps began to chase after her.

“Ah-! Mommy!”

As she ran, she looked at the numbers between the floors, realizing that her house was on the 7th floor, just half a floor up.

Too scared to look back, but seeing the footsteps so close, it felt like they were sticking to her even half a floor below.

With trembling legs, Ji-eun quickly entered the 7th floor and tightly grabbed the gray iron gate, pulling it shut.

– Clank, clank. –

It seemed like she had entered first from a hair’s breadth away, but the emergency stair door on the opposite side also rattled by the intruder.

“Mommy! Help me! Sob, sob.”

In extreme fear, tears streamed down as Ji-eun shouted with all her might, using all the strength she had left.