Episode 31: Jung Soo-yeon

Hong Yuri is in the midst of a hectic freshman year after enrolling in the Korean Language and Literature department at Yeonha University. Her tolerance for alcohol has improved through year-level social events, and the cruel reality of group projects has toughened her up a bit.

“Ah, it’s so tough. Where did my campus romance go?”

Despite this, watching dramas and variety shows featuring Ryu Yeon-woo, her favorite celebrity and high school junior, serves as her solace and comfort.

“Jin-yook, could you please add some water to the pot…”

Today as well, she’s sitting at her dormitory desk, with her laptop displaying her assignment and her phone propped up beside it, playing a show she has watched multiple times.

These days, something has been bothering Hong Yuri: a mentee assigned to her by her former high school as part of a mentoring program to boost college entrance rates in the capital area.

– Ting. –

[Kim Junsoo: Did you have your meal, sis?]

Since being paired with Kim Junsoo as a mentor-mentee, he contacts her multiple times a day, which she finds somewhat bothersome.

Hong Yuri’s fingers move quickly across her smartphone.

[No, I’ve been busy with assignments. You should be studying too.]

Although she could ignore him, she finds herself replying because he looks up to her.

[Kim Junsoo: I’m nervous because the June mock test is just around the corner. I need to score well to aim for Yeonha University.]

Despite the multiple messages he sends every day asking about her well-being, Yuri is relieved when she sees texts like these, confirming her junior aiming for college.

[You should manage your time well. You hardly encounter problems you can’t solve anymore.]

As soon as she puts her phone down, a quick reply comes in.

[Kim Junsoo: Right, I should manage my time well. Anyway, it seems Yeon-woo will easily go to Korea University.]

Junsoo smoothly switches the topic to Yeon-woo while subtly using informal language.

“This guy is subtly being informal again.”

Yuri knows from her school days that Junsoo is a close friend of Yeon-woo.

[Why are you subtly using informal language?]

Yuri writes, but then deletes it.

[Fighting.]

Yuri was somewhat hesitant, worried about appearing like a condescending older person despite only being a year older.

“Why do I even care how I appear to this kid? Why am I hesitating? Geez!”

“Huh?”

Yuri’s roommate lifted her head, still hungover from last night, at the sound of Yuri talking to herself.

“No, sister, go back to sleep.”

“Huuuh.”

***

[Hong Yuri: Fighting.]

Kim Junsoo stared at the dry one-word reply and then went back to solving problems with a gloomy face.

‘If Yuri gets a boyfriend before I get into college, it’s going to be problematic.’

Ah, is that really the problem? Getting admitted is difficult enough.