30 - Exposed

𝐕𝐈𝐕𝐈𝐀𝐍 𝐇𝐀𝐖𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐄

Dark clouds hover over the bright moonlight and the light curtains blow from the wind from outside. Feeling the heat from the nearby fireplace.

"What's in your file?" Chase asks, sitting next to me on the couch.

"I don't wanna talk about it" I pause. "It wouldn't matter to you anyway."

Getting up from the couch and clasp two ends of my bracelet given to me by my dear mother, with my first and last name written in cursive.

"You were very upset about what you saw inside your file" Chase pause. "I just wanna know what's wrong."

A faint smile grows on my lips facing the window, his reflection watching mine in the window. He still cares about me, there's a part of him that wants to be there in my corner and my heart swells at the fact.

A short knock at the door cut our conversation short and Daniel's head poking into the room, his eyes darting from mine to Chase's.

"Are you guys ready yet?" Daniel pause. "Trust me I think the plan that we came up with will go smoothly."

"If this plan doesn't go well I could say that this is all your fault by the way" Chase says, giving a sly smile towards Daniel and stuffing his hands in his pockets.

His footsteps stop and looks up at Chase up and down with an offensive look, shaking his head, and clicking his tongue in annoyance.

"Let's go Vivian since you're my best friend we'll sit together, because Chase lowers his score on the friend meter" Daniel said.

We giggle like mischievous school children and hold onto each other's hand, running out of the room with pure smiles on our faces heading into the ballroom.

"Oh, c'mon Danny I was just joking" Chase said.

Slipping through the door into the famous ballroom deep red curtains hang in their glory, bubbles of champagne echoing, and sweet perfumes with strong colognes wafting in the air.

"Smile for the camera," the photographer says, holding up his camera close eyes peeking through the lens.

Pushing our faces together and giving a series of goofy/smile poses then towards the end finally strike a serious expression trying not to laugh.

"All right, I got a good amount of photos and hope you guys enjoy the rest of your night" the photographer replies, keeping his camera close to his side weaving through the crowd of people.

"Thank you" I said.

"Thank you, have a good evening" Daniel said.
Squinting my eyes between barely any lighting in the room with the occasional flashing from the cameras.

To find Mr & Mrs. Wellington sitting front row smiling at those fake smiles and charming people with words that enchant under a spell, then find my father and younger sister in constant conversation.

"Hey, are you okay you're squinting a lot? because you look like you need some glasses to see" Daniel says, leaning back in his seat and watching me struggle with my eyesight.