eighteen.

now playing: "Self" by Cleo Sol

(This chapter contains explicit content. Reader discretion advised.)

"I need to get one of those slab cars from the show. Shit was nice."

Aaliyah's soft, excited whispers filled my ear, her breath tickling my skin as we reminisced about the auto show we'd attended before our flight.

Positioned comfortably on top of her on the reclined seat, my head nestled against her shoulder, the usual barriers of celebrity seemed to vanish under the starlit sky that soared past the jet's windows.

The auto show had been an exhilarating experience, with Aaliyah's enthusiasm for the cars proving to be incredibly infectious. She moved through the venue with unmatched grace, her fame parting crowds like the bow of a ship through calm waters.

Yet, despite the attention she drew, her focus was on sharing the moment with me, genuinely captivated by the sleek lines and powerful engines of the luxury vehicles we'd admired together.

Being with Aaliyah came with its own set of unique advantages. Her status meant access to experiences most could only dream of, but what stood out the most was her genuine desire to share these moments with someone she cared about.

During the remainder of our short stint in Houston, my uncle and I had the pleasure of giving her an authentic taste of my city. Beyond the chrome of the auto show, we explored parts of Third Ward, and I watched her eyes light up as she took in the vibrant street art, the soulful sounds of live music, and the rich flavors of Texan cuisine.

And as a final touch to commemorate our time together, I had arranged for us to get matching grills to be shipped back home to Los Angeles, knowing that the memory would last far longer than the temporary metal smiles themselves.

I couldn't recall the last time I felt such a level of comfort and contentment with someone I hadn't known for more than a year. Aaliyah was effortlessly attentive, ensuring that not only my needs, but also those of my uncle's, were met at every opportunity.

She blended seamlessly into my world, making herself feel right at home amongst the people and places that made up my roots.

Perhaps the highlight of our time together was this simple opportunity to spend time above the clouds, comfortable under a plush blanket in a cabin shrouded in darkness, echoing the comfort of an old theater after the lights have dimmed.

The only light source came from the stars scattered across the night sky and my laptop screen as the echoes of Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan's comedic escapades played in the background. It was a surreal sensation to gaze out the window at the millions of specks of light suspended in the dark expanse of space while sitting inches away from someone equally as beautiful and ethereal.