fifteen.

now playing: "Freefall" by KAYTRANADA ft

now playing: "Freefall" by KAYTRANADA ft. Durand Bernarr

bonus track: "XO" by Beyoncé

(a/n: long chapter with a different perspective)

Aaliyah

Few things came close to Summertime Chi.

If you had a true Summertime Chi experience, it would take you months to get over it. Days at work would pass in a haze, every sunrise a struggle, and every social call an attempt to fill the void left behind.

Solitude was a danger; it brought back memories—of hands clasped tight amidst the pleasant sounds of Erykah Badu's Lollapalooza set, of fleeting encounters at block parties that promised more but ended in a phone number half given.

Summertime Chi was a whirlwind romance—the kind you'd relive in daydreams and sleepless nights. With every person that Chicago brought into your life, you'd find a piece of yourself—some to cherish, some to yearn for, and some you'd never manage to let go of.

As the year marched on and the mercury dropped, you clung to the hope that Summertime Chi might never end.

The parties continued, the encounters wove through your days, each one a faint echo of summers past, each one leaving you reaching for a feeling that slipped away like sand through your fingers.

But seasons change, and so did you.

And then there was Houston.

Houston wasn't a rebound or a cure for the ache left by Chi. Houston was a revelation. The air around you seemed imbued with a sweetness that made every breath an epiphany, every song a symphony, every night a canopy of stars winking knowingly at your newfound joy.

Houston was stunning.

You didn't need to know every street, every corner, to know you were home. Houston welcomed you into a neighborhood of shared experiences—a melting pot of moments and memories. Here, her weather painted every day in strokes of paradise, and her character was as complex and captivating as the stories etched into every sidewalk.

Houston was the unexpected chapter, who wasn't just one to admire from afar but someone to wander with, hand in hand. With Houston, every alley held a secret, every skyline a promise.

Every night was an adventure, and every moment was an invitation to discover a side of yourself that only existed when the two of you were together.

With every step, you felt closer to becoming the best version of yourself.

Houston was the kind of love that was both an adventure and a sanctuary.

Houston felt like home.

And home was where my heart found itself settling down.