five.

(a/n: long chapter)

(a/n: long chapter)

now playing: "Time" by Free Nationals ft. Mac Miller, Kali Uchis

"Your accent's kinda trippin' me up, like it's not quite American...you not from here, are you?"

"I could ask the same about you. You mentioned you were from Texas, but your accent sounds like it's mixed with something else too."

We found ourselves in the heart of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, amidst a special exhibit dedicated to centuries of Black history and culture. The museum space was an expansive, open area, bathed in natural light from the large skylights overhead. The light bounced off the polished floors and illuminated the art pieces, making the colors appear even more vibrant.

On one wall, an abstract composition, a dynamic interplay of textures and colors. The piece seemed to be constructed from a myriad of materials – fragments of newspapers, pieces of worn-out denim, shards of colored glass, and even what seemed to be rusted chains. These elements were layered and intertwined in a chaotic yet harmonious dance.

The piece was thought-provoking, confronting even. It was as if the artist was challenging the viewer to see the beauty in the broken, to acknowledge the resilience that comes from overcoming adversity.

Around us, a diverse collection of art told stories of resilience, resistance, and revolution. There were paintings and sculptures, multimedia installations, and photographs, each piece a unique voice in the chorus of the Black experience.

Paul's usual laid-back personality transformed into something different as we navigated the exhibit. With every artwork we approached, he'd pause thoughtfully, his eyes studying the piece before launching into a detailed explanation about the artist's background, the symbolism in the work, and the historical context that shaped it.

His profound understanding of Black artists and their work surprised and impressed me. His knowledge was vast and nuanced, extending beyond surface-level appreciation to a deeper understanding of the struggles, victories, and narratives embodied in the art.

This was not the superficial knowledge of someone who had merely read a few articles or attended a couple of college lectures; it was the insight of someone who had genuinely immersed himself in the culture, history, and artistic expression of another race.

"I lived in London for about two and a half years. I actually moved back here over a year ago," I replied.

He seemed genuinely interested, his attention fixed on me as I continued observing the painting in front of us.

"What brought you to London?"

"Grad school. Just wanted to try something new, I guess. Explore. Plus it was cheaper to study abroad."

"How was the experience?"

"Eye-opening," I said.

"Good or bad?"