10 - Regards?

mackenzie

To Mac,
I hope you don't mind this is written on a paper towel but I didn't want to dig through your things for a piece of paper. I had a very nice time last night and I think we need to talk.but I had an early morning meeting with my manager. I swear I didn't just walk out.
There's a blueberry muffin on the counter. I doubt it'll be anywhere near as good as the one's back home but I hope you enjoy it. I also put an iced mocha latte with an extra shot in the fridge for you. I do hope that's still your coffee order.
My number is the same.
Regards,
Natalie R. Matthews.

Regards?

I rolled out of bed and went into my kitchen. There was a blueberry muffin sitting there.

I opened the fridge.

A coffee.

I sat at the counter and ate the muffin. Not as good as the bakery back home and definitely not as good as my Gram's. But it's good.

The coffee is delicious.

She went to the trouble of buying me breakfast, coming back to my house, putting the coffee in the fridge, and writing me a note.

I put my head in my hands.

We had sex last night.

Fuck.

We had sex.

We were supposed to just talk.

I was supposed to be mad at her.

How did it get that far?

Because you want her so bad.

Shut up.

I pulled out my phone and hesitated on shooting her a text. She did say she had a meeting. But she also said her number is the same.

Maybe she wants me to text her.

When I scrolled down enough to find her individual contact in my phone, I noticed Teddy's name.

I'm gonna call him first. He's always been a little smart ass. Maybe now that he's a big 18 year old, he's gotten wiser. He's definitely grown up.

He answered after the third ring, "Mackenzie."

"This call is about your sister and can absolutely not get back to her."

I heard him huff on the other line, "You realize I am very busy right now?"

"Doing what, smartass?"

"Lifting."

"You have five minutes to talk to me."

"Spill."

"She apologized for breaking up with me after I snapped at her last week and we got drunk together last night and she wrote me this cute little note but I don't know if I am forgiving her too soon or what." I left out the part about us fucking.

"Why don't you ask your bestie boo about this?" He coughed away from the phone, "I mean, he gets you more than me."

"Yeah but you know your sister."

He took a moment to respond, "What I am about to say can not get back to her."

"This conversation is a secret."

"She's been wanting to do that forever. I mean I get it if you still have some unresolved feelings deep down and can't truly forgive her. But trust me when I say this, every single time I have seen her for the past 5 years, she has brought up some excuse to talk about you. It used to be pathetic but I think she broke her own heart while breaking yours."

I let his words sink in.

She broke her own heart while breaking mine.

Wow.

"Are you serious?"

"Fuck you mean, 'Am I serious?' Of course I'm serious. No brother wants to see their sister hurting even if it was her fault. Mac, she loved you. You came into our lives and turned hers upside down. I'm glad you guys are reconnecting. Maybe she'll finish her next book."

Maybe she'll finish her next book. "She could finish her next book without reconnecting with me."

He snorted, "You both have always been so clueless when it comes to each other. She wrote it for you."

"Oh." I didn't know that. How could I have known that? I mean, I read By My Side. It was brilliant. But it didn't relate to us at all. "Thanks Ted."

"Yeah of course. Call me anytime."

"Same for you."

He hung up.

She didn't write it for me.

I need to talk to Cass.

She answered after the first ring, "I was waiting for this."

"Did she break her own heart when she broke up with me?" Great way to start a conversation, Mackenzie.

"Where did you hear this?" I could hear the confusion in her voice. She probably has her eyebrows raised and everything. Classic Cassie.

She and I have never been the closest. But I need her to answer these questions for me.

"Top secret." I was hoping she could hear how much I needed her to answer, "Do you think that's accurate?"

She didn't answer.

Allison's voice came through the phone, "Of course it's fucking true. You're two gay women that were so completely in love with each other and still are, it seems like. I think you two need to be friends to finally move on. Have you dated anyone since?"

"No." It's embarrassing to admit.

"Exactly."

Cassie snorted, "They're such a cliche."

Allison laughed, "Like we aren't!"

Cassie turned her attention back to me, "Call me anytime, Mac. It was nice to hear from you."

"Thank you." I hung up.

I looked at Kat who was simply just staring at me on the counter. He doesn't need anything. I checked his food bowl this morning.

Maybe he wants a sibling.

"You want me to get a sister for you buddy?"

No mom, we don't need more cats.

"Yeah I agree. Let's go." I picked him up and put him in the cat carrier next to the door and left. I'm on a mission to find a black cat to compliment Kat.