8 - Mackenzie

A/N- WHOOPS HEHE

mackenzie

The doorbell rang in my oversized house. My dad bought it for an anniversary present to my mom years ago. Right on the beach. But too big for just a human and a cat.

I don't know why anyone would ring my bell. My parents are dead, my friends don't visit, and my neighbors are old doctors who don't do anything but work.

"Hi, what can I-" I stopped when I saw who it was, "What the hell are you doing here? How did you find my house?"

She held up a letter and a bottle of Tito's, "You wrote to me while I was still in college. I was praying you had the same address."

She got my letters. "But what are you doing here?"

"I came to apologize."

I stood there and waited for her to do it.

"Oh. Yes." She nodded, "I am sorry Mackenzie. And that one sentence isn't enough. I'm sorry for putting you through hell when you first moved in with me especially after your parents passed. I am so sorry for pushing you away when my mom got sick and for being too scared to be open about our relationship in front of my family. But most of all, I am sorry for breaking your heart. I am so sorry for leaving you like that. I should've sent my own letters to you. I should've reached out. I should have come here sooner to tell you that I miss you. And I miss being around you. And I seriously miss being your friend. I shouldn't have talked about you on TV like that but honestly, Mac, I want the whole world to know about you. I want the whole world to see how awesome you are. How kind and smart and strong. And I'm sorry."

I could cry right here standing in my doorway.

"Do you want to come in?" I moved aside to let her in. What am I doing!?

She nodded, "I don't even know if you drink but I brought Vodka. I figured if you slapped me in the face or something, we could at least get drunk afterwards."

"I definitely drink. That was a good peace offering." I led her to the kitchen and took out the small shot glasses out of the liquor cabinet.

"You have a whole set up." She nodded, impressed at the minibar in my living room. Little does she know, I have a full one in the lounge.

"I damn near became an alcoholic." I smiled at the joke that wasn't actually a joke because I smoked and drank away my sorrows almost every day after she left.

"Twins I guess."

"Straight shot or a cocktail?"

She snorted at that, "It's been 5 years, sure, but I don't drink cocktails."

"Not even at your fancy little dinners and events?" I set the shot in front of her and leaned on the counter next to her.

She shook her head, "I need something strong to get through those." She tapped the glass twice on the counter and took the whole thing at once.

I stared at her. I wouldn't even touch alcohol at an event like that. If I ever got to go, I would just take it all in. All the celebrities and the stage and the speeches and gowns. Just the whole aesthetic of it all.

"You know, I'm sorry too." I looked at her.

I furrowed her eyebrows together, "Why?"

"Because I could've done more too." I shook my head. And I let you leave me. But I'm not going to say that to you.

"You did more than me." She sat up straighter, "Do you want to play a drinking game?"

"Okay. What do you have in mind?" I sat on the stool next to her and face her.