FOURTEEN, arrival

IT WAS ALREADY EVENING WHEN WELT UNLOCKED THE HOUSE DOOR, your figure wrapped in a thin grey blanket, eyes widened and mouth slightly agape.

"Welt? Is that really you...?"

Welt nods wearily, the wrinkle underneath his eye more evident than you last recalled. However, a gentle fatigued smile reaches his lips all while you run up to him and embrace him with all your might.

The smell of that cologne was still present, but so was a bitterness you would not name.

Welt similarly wraps his arms around you, gingerly pressing a kiss on your head as you rub his back to seemingly confirm if your lover was truly standing in front of you.

The two of you hold each other for a prolonged amount of time; clasping onto the moment as if it may suddenly leave without warning.

Welt then pulls away, tears flowing down his face as he cupped your cheeks in his sturdy hands, "Let's rest, we can talk all about it tomorrow."

You nod, tears streaming down your face. Closing your eyes, you lean into the caress of his hand: two souls both weary nevertheless, finally together.

Thus, tucked under the covers, the two of you nestle in with each other, embracing a fleeting night together for one, final time.