New beginnings

Dear Katniss,

I hear congratulations is in order as you welcome your second child into the world. I hope you and Peeta are doing well. I'm glad you have finally gotten the life you deserve. You are free Katniss. Remember that.

From
     Aurora

I seal the letter in an envelope ready to send it. We are free. After all of the years of torture and pain, we are finally free. There are still moment when I wake screaming from nightmares of mutts and those we have lost. But Finnicks arms are there to comfort me. I don't know what would of happened if he didn't survive. I mostly like would of ended up with Johanna, crazy out of my mind and high on drugs.

I am dragged out of my thoughts by the sound of crying. I get up and walk over to the crib. I gently pick up my beautiful boy in my arms. Joeseph or Joe for short after Johanna. Four kids and you still never get over the joys of a newborn.

Caspian is now 13. I can't believe I'm a mother to a teenager. He has been through so much. Especially having to deal with the rebellion. Not that I think he remembers most of it but sometimes he does ask questions about what happened during those dark times.

Hope is a bit of a handful to say the least. She's definitely a child of the ocean, I always catch her and Finnick swimming in the sea no matter the weather. She is still my miracle baby, brightening my life with her dark humour at just 8 years old. I guess she takes after her parents. 

Mags was in fact delivered by Katniss's wonderful mother. She is one of the brightest kids at her school always brining joy and happiness to everyone. Mags is very smart for being just 7 years old, her school is even talking about moving her up into a higher year.

I'm so proud of my kids.
Well what mother isn't?

Avanna is now happily married to Chris, one of the locals from four. Living next door to us with their son, Samuel and daughter, Sasha. We have weekly dinners together as one big family even though sometimes it does feel a bit odd to finally be safe, I don't think I'll ever get used to the unfamiliar feeling of freedom.

Haymitch and Effie come to visit every couple of months so Haymitch can see his beautiful grandchildren. We don't really see or talk to Johanna as much as we would like too. She sort of slipped down further into the rabbit whole and stuck to drugs as a coping mechanism. Who could really blame her? she's been through some rough shit.

I'm currently sitting on the soft sand of district 4 listening to the sound of the waves and laughter. I glance up at Finnick playing in the water with Caspian and our two girls. Joe, stirs in my arms so I begin to sing to gently send him back to sleep.

'Are you, are you comin' to the tree?
Where they strung up a man, they say, who murdered three
Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be
If we met at midnight in the hanging tree

Are you, are you comin' to the tree
Where dead man called out for his love to flee?
Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be
If we met at midnight in the hanging tree

Are you, are you comin' to the tree
Where I told you to run, so we'd both be free?
Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be
If we met at midnight in the hanging tree
Are you, are you comin' to the tree
Where necklace of hope, side by side with me?
Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be
If we met at midnight in the hanging tree
Are you, are you comin' to the tree
Where I told you to run, so we'd both be free?
Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be
If we met at midnight in the hanging tree'

And finally we got our happy ending. 707 words.