forty-seven

(a/n: i used proofreading the next few chapters as a coping mechanism to ignore the fact that i probably failed my first exam of the week, so here's a new chapter sooner than i thought i'd be able to publish it lmao, enjoyy)

Sam's pov

I stared at the text on my phone's screen for something like twenty minutes, wishing it would just disappear.

As soon as I saw that name appear in my notifications the day before I just instinctively swiped it away, trying to ignore it but obviously failing. I waited until the next morning to open it again, hoping it had all just been a bad dream.

I really did hope I'd also been able to hide my confusion about it from Ellie. Asking her if she was sure everything was okay at work was suspicious enough. But I knew that even if something was wrong, she wouldn't tell me. Too much had already happened because of this person and she rightly wanted to be cautious if talking about her.

Maya: can we talk? 

We hadn't even bothered blocking each other when we broke up, knowing that not contacting each other wouldn't be something hard to do.

Apparently, I was wrong.

Just as I started to feel like I was going to lose my mind because of it, Ellie sent me some photos. I opened them to see the Statue of Liberty with a clear blue sky behind it and a selfie of her and her friend.

Ellie :) : you were right about not many people being here!! wish you were with us :')

you: Looks amazing! Have fun!!

I opened the second picture one more time to remind myself of how lucky I was to call such a gorgeous girl mine, when I got another notification.

Maya: you know i can see when you've read a text?

you: What the fuck do you want to talk about?

I sighed as I switched the phone off, hoping to find a distraction by working a bit. I really had no idea what there was to talk about after so long, and I honestly didn't even want to know since anything that had to do with her was never a good thing.

Obviously it would have had to do with Ellie because there really was no reason for her to reach out after so long, and it just felt like my worst nightmare was becoming reality. I didn't want anything to do with Maya anymore, and I couldn't believe she was once again trying to disrupt my life.

Working wasn't a good distraction, as predicted, so I tried to go for a walk to clear my mind but that didn't work either, because I just kept dreading the moment in which I'd need my phone and had to see the reply I'd most likely received.

I only switched back on because Ellie had probably tried to contact me at some point, which was confirmed once I saw a missing call and a text from her.

Ellie :) : just wanted to say i'm not stopping home before work, so see you this evening i guess?

you: Of course, love. Both you and Vic can stop by whenever you want

But my other suspicion was confirmed, unfortunately.

Maya: there's a few things we can't really ignore, and i think you know what i'm talking about

you: I'm afraid I don't
you: What makes you think I even want to talk to you?

A reply arrived immediately after, as if she'd been waiting all day.

Maya: i'm seeing your sweet girlfriend in like an hour, you wouldn't like it if i told her more stuff you probably don't want me to tell her, wouldn't you?