26 | here; to the beginnings of oath

The masked man dropped the slumped figures that showed signs of stirring onto the ground without care, rolling his shoulders. It seemed that carrying them hadn't been entirely easy, despite how it looked. Kaden snickered to tease the man whose sharp glare dug into him.

Kaden lowered his body, checking the students' temperature and determined once again that there was nothing wrong.

He would signal the flare and call the professors over.

"Thank you for your help." He didn't forget to say to the strange person at his side, who massaged their shoulders before turning their masked face toward him.

"...it's nothing."

The cat purred at Kaden's neck, raising its lazy head slightly before snuggling closer to the human's warmth.

Kaden had almost forgotten that it had habitually draped itself over his shoulder again, looking like an accessory as its entire body went limp, softly breathing. If this was a creature from the forest... he could take it back with him, right?

The issue was that he couldn't say whether the cat would follow him back to the Academy, or attempt to and fall into danger. After all, it had followed him into the cave...

Deep rumination knitted his eyebrows and he rubbed the fluffy fur mindlessly.

Seeing the person in front of him go silent, the masked man quickly grasped the issue and said in a hoarse voice,

"Students are allowed to form contracts."

Kaden raised his head. He'd never been very informed about most matters related to the Academy, so he hadn't known.

"Really?"

"As long as it's approved." The masked man paused, seeming not to want to speak too much before adding, "You can bring it back and write an application."

Kaden nodded in understanding. How enlightening!

Not to mention, having a little cat companion—well, he'd have to research its true species back in the library. But he would never turn down a fluffy companion that doubled as a neck warmer.

If that was the case, he could also try sleeping with it so that he wouldn't trouble Noah anymore...

He would have to wait for the application to be approved first before testing it.

The masked man watched the myriad of emotions displayed on Kaden's ever changing expressions that seemed to be restrained in public, before turning away. Instead of directly disappearing, he displayed a polite manner.

"I'll be going."

"Oh." Kaden snapped out of his thoughts and naturally smiled, curving his sharp eyes to make them appear softer, matching his good mood. "I'll see you, then."

The figure froze, before nodding curtly and disappearing into the forest.

Kaden watched silently, before pulling out the safety flare and checking if the earlier water damage affected it. However, his clothes appeared dry, and even the jacket and shoes he removed earlier were back on his body.

He praised the spirits before raising his hand in the air.

Bang!

The flares were made from a special material that could only be heard by living things with a certain amount of intelligence, preventing it from attracting too many dangerous beasts.

As soon as the sound went off, Kaden heard the trees rustle, confirming the approach of one to three people coming his way.

Professor Alexander jumped down from one of the trees, landing perfectly at his feet. Although he typically wore a stoic and stern face, he presently glanced around cautiously.