Chapter Twenty-Six

"Surely, we don't have to go to this. Let's just stay here."

"Maren, it's a party in your honor, we have to go," Donovan said, planting a series of kisses on the back of her neck. "But I do appreciate your willingness to stay in bed with me."

Maren sighed. "I've grown rather fond of being in bed with you, I like it much more than parties," Maren told him. "And it's not as though you are inspiring me to get out of bed."

They were curled together like spoons in Donovan's bed. He was tucked behind her and kept kissing her neck and caressing whatever part of her happened to be most convenient. It had been a fairly debaucherous day, what with the two of them retiring to bed shortly after luncheon, but Maren had no complaints.

As Maren's departure came closer, Donovan seemed to do less and less actual work and instead spent more and more time with her. She had no complaints about this either. She was glad for any of the seconds they had together. They all seemed like the best seconds of her life.

"But, parties are fun!" Donovan insisted.

Maren rolled her eyes. "I maintain this is a strange party. Everyone is going to pretend that I'm leaving under perfectly normal circumstances when the reality is that my contracted time as palace courtesan has run out, and I can now marry someone of a higher status thanks to my Crown-sponsored dowry," Maren said.

"Yes...that's true, but there will also be twinkling lights and the sparkling wine you like," he said.

"And besides," he added thoughtfully, "The Selection isn't all bad. I never would have found you otherwise."

He held her more tightly when he talked about finding her, and Maren's stomach felt like it was full of fluttery things. The way that Donovan made her feel special had been so unexpected. He made her feel even more than that, she felt treasured

"When you're king, please do away with it, though. It's really ridiculous," Maren said, choosing to ignore her very strong feelings for the moment.

"Hmmm...no, I'll keep it, but I'm going to change it. No one has to come or pay the tax ever again, but the Duchess of Worthingham is to be the King's permanent mistress," Donovan said loftily.

Maren laughed, "I don't think that's the Selection anymore, I think it's just an affair."

Donovan sighed, "Ah... I wish...but I would like to get rid of it. I'll admit, I didn't feel all that strongly about it before. I didn't like it, but didn't see a significant issue with it in general. But then after what happened to you and Lady Callista and even Caroline all those years ago...no good comes from it."

Maren nodded in approval. Perhaps more than one positive thing would come from her time at the palace.

"But in any case, everyone adores you and wants to wish you well, so the least we can do is show up, drink wine, and then leave early to go to bed together," Donovan said.

"All right, all right, I'll go get ready," Maren said, sitting up reluctantly. 

She turned around to look at him and put her hand on his chest, "But please, no toasts."

He laughed. "I make no promises," he said.

"Well, just expect there will be consequences if you do," she told him with a wink. And with that, she went to her rooms to make herself ready. 

She dressed in a sort of gauzy blue dress with a jeweled waistband. It was long and flowy, with fluttery sleeves that made her think of butterflies. She thought she had also worn it to the very first dinner she had had with the King and Queen. Truly, that seemed like a lifetime ago.