Chapter 31

Chapter 31 — I Do Not Like Him

Lately Liam feels like he is a mismatched puzzle. But he cannot quite figure out what it is that makes him feel so... scrambled. He cannot focus on anything, and most of the times he is just distracted. Even when someone tries to talk to him, they have to repeat the same thing at least three times before he can even process what they're saying. Needless to say, his memory is pretty much shot too.

This change in him of course does not go unnoticed by those around him but every time he is approached regarding the topic, he just shakes his head and reassures them he is fine. He is really not, but that does not mean he is going to admit it. And it's very manageable, at least according to him, so no need to make it into a big deal.

As long as he keeps himself busy, it's fine. But it is a Sunday, and he can't sleep, so he woke up early and he's already cleaned the whole house twice, but he's still not tired and he doesn't know what else he can do. The kids love cake — maybe he should try his hand at baking.

But before he can stand up from the couch, his sister, Rylee, plops down next to him, and places a hand on his knee, stopping his leg from jiggling. He didn't even realise he had been doing that.

"Hey," he smiles at her and notices the once again prominent bags under her eyes and squints at her, "You okay?"

She gives him a tight smile and nods, rubbing her forehead, "Just nightmares,"

"Wanna talk about it?"

She shakes her head, sighing, "It's... whatever. I think I'd rather unpack that with my therapist,"

"Wow, valuing your therapist more than your blood sibling, okay," he lets out a low whistle jokingly, feigning offence.

She punches his arm lightly, chuckling softly, "Shut up, idjit. You know it's not like that. I just don't want to have to talk about the same thing twice,"

"Yeah, yeah, I know. I was just kidding," he ruffles her hair a little before clasping his hands together, declaring, "So I was thinking about baking a cake. What flavour do you think I should try?"

"Uh, uh, no," she clicks her tongue, and puts her arm across his chest, barricading him from standing up, "We're not talking about my nightmares, but we are talking about you,"

"About me? What about me?"

"Do I look blind to you? It's so obvious that something's been bothering you,"

He rolls his eyes, ready to deny the statement, but Rylee continues on without letting him interrupt.

"I didn't want to ask at first, to not invade your privacy, but it's been a few days now, and it doesn't seem like you've worked it out or even talked to anyone about it. So, what is it?"

"No–," he starts to say, the automatic response at the tip of his tongue, but swallows the rest of the word, catching the pointed glare from his sister — he settles for a sheepish grimace with a shrug instead.

"Lovers' quarrel?" she takes a guess.

"No!" he exclaims — if that were his actual plight, it would be much easier, not that he was wishing for a disagreement between him and Jason.

"Then what?"

Another shrug. It's not that Liam is purposely being obstinate, keeping his lips sealed, it's more that he does not know what his problem is in the first place. Or maybe he does, and he is just not ready to acknowledge it yet.

"Okay, fine. I'll call mom and ask her to come over and ask you instead,"

"No," he snatches the phone in her hand, and puts it away from her reach, and scowls at her, "And it's fine, Ry. I'm fine. I just need time to work some things out,"