Chapter 7

Chapter 7 — Ethics And Manners

"You did what?!" Kaitlyn shrieks from the other side, and Liam has to pull his phone away from his ear, wincing.

"Maybe mixed a little bit of laxative into his drink?" he grimaces, and then quickly adds, "It's nothing harmful — my dad takes it often,"

"Yes, because it's prescribed to him! Oh my god, Liam," she sighs as if in disapproval but starts laughing soon after.

Liam puts his phone in speaker, and places it beside him, shuffling to his right into a more comfortable sleeping position. He was planning to sleep, that is until his best friend and demanded to fill her in regarding what's going on in his life.

And that is how he started ranting about his dickface boss and how he infuriated him so much that he was pushed to lacing his drink. It was satisfactory seeing his boss suffer for a moment there, but right then Liam actually feels bad for him.

"As long as you don't end up killing him, it's fine. He is my biggest client,"

Liam lets out a humourless scoff, rolling his eyes, "Maybe I should just confess to him, and apologise — it was an impulsive thing, I didn't actually mean to do that, you know,"

"Yeah, do that, and get fired. Or worse, let him sue you,"

"He won't do that," Liam frowns, and then doubtfully adds, "Will he?"

"I don't know, Liam. Best course of action: just pretend you don't know anything at all. You don't want to end up with another restraining order, do you?"

"Ouch, that's still a fresh wound. Fuck you,"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," she quickly apologises, "That was uncalled for,"

Liam shakes his head — if it were anyone else, he will have their head by now, but it's Kaitlyn, and he knows she never really thinks before speaking, so he lets it slide.

His phone buzzes right then, and Liam lifts his head to see who it is, "Oh,"

"Oh, what?" Kaitlyn asks from the other end.

"Jason just texted me,"

"Who?"

"Jason — this guy I met in the office,"

"Oh," she drawls out in a very much insinuating manner.

Liam lets out a soft chuckle, "Shut up,"

"What — I didn't say anything,"

"And you don't have to,"

"Rude," a small pause, and Liam knows for certain what is coming next, "So, who is this Jason?"

"He is an accountant, works at my office. Met him this morning,"

"And? C'mon, you can't lie to me, I know you're not telling me something,"

Liam doesn't know why he even tries. He sighs before admitting, "Okay maybe we had lunch together too. But only for like ten minutes because you know my asshole of a boss–,"

"Not again," Kaitlyn cuts him off before he can launch yet into another rant about his boss.

"He just is that irritating, okay,"

"Mhmm, sure," she dismisses him altogether, "I want to know more about this Jason guy,"

"I mean I only met him this morning, so I don't really know much about him. He is cute, and um, maybe I invited him to have lunch with me again?" Liam grimaces, rubbing his eyes, "I totally didn't plan that though, it just slipped out of my mouth,"