Chaos I

Spoilers of S06E01.

"Please tell me what I just heard isn't true?" Andy stormed into the room.

"What did you just hear?", Maya replied calmly.

"That you blackmailed Chief Ross?" Herrera said in surprise.

"I just wanted my job back," the blonde replied naturally as she took the materials to the shelf.

"Would you really be happy if you got your position back in this condition?", the brunette stopped with her arms outstretched.

"I don't know, Andy. I did it on impulse. I was tired of waiting and waiting and nothing happened", the woman stopped at once and turned to her friend with her hands in the air. "And cut the sermon. I've been suffering from this action for the last 6 months with Ross, Sulivan and Becket", the woman returned to the previous task.

"So that's why Becket gets on your nerves so much," Andy crossed her arms over her chest thoughtfully. Now that all made sense.

"That drun...", Maya stopped talking and made a fist with her hand slamming it onto the table so hard she could feel the pain spreading through her arm.

"You could have told me," the Latina firefighter spoke again.

"What would change? Would you react differently? Would you say I was right?", Maya said angrily.

"No, but I could defend you from Becket," the woman said.

"I don't need you to defend me" Maya spoke so euphorically that her face instantly turned red.

"Sometimes you seem a lot like Maya from before who used shut herself off from the world," Andy said hurtfully.

Maya took a deep breath, turning her back to her friend as she placed both hands on the table.

"I'm sorry. I should have told you. Keeping this to myself for the last few months almost kills me," Maya turned to face her friend.

"Wait... not even Carina?", Andy stopped, gaping.

"No," the firefighter said, lowering her head as she leaned on the table, crossing her arms. She knew she was wrong. She had done exactly everything wrong.

"Why did you do that?", Herrera said indignantly.

"I don't know. I don't know what happened to me. I thought I was protecting her because we were already going through the fertilization process and when the first test came back negative we closed ourselves off from the world and focused on each other. There was a lot of expectation in that. Then when we contacted Jack again and he refused to donate. Carina was hurt and then angry and we had to go through the sperm banks again. And then came the new attempts and new frustrations and I... I didn't find a way to tell her that. I didn't think she deserved to go through this too. I knew she would be hurt."

Maya walked a little and dropped her body onto the seat behind her with a long sigh.

"But you can still talk to her. It's not too late," Andy sat beside the woman.

"Except that it is too late... She found out from Becket the day the tornado hit," the woman said ruefully.

"Oh, that's not good. That's not good at all," Herrera said quietly, staring at the floor.

"And... my life is a complete disaster right now. It's bad here, it's bad at home", Maya threw her head back trying to hold back the tears that filled her eyes as she let the air out through her mouth.