36

It took them two weeks to get the money, between bank transfers, justifications and withdrawal limits. Two weeks that also gave them the time to think of a better strategy. 

Gigi and Hakim had ended up deciding that it wasn't such a good idea to not contact the police. At the end of the first week, they started communicating with an inspector. It was a huge risk to take of course, but one that was now paying off. 

Contrary to what they had expected, the police took their case seriously. Hakim wondered if it was because a foreigner was involved but he was grateful nonetheless. The inspector Danso was a man of experience and he helped them understand that Shan didn't have the power nor the intelligence to conduct an abduction on her own and that she most certainly had the help of a local gang. It didn't take the police long to figure out which gang it was. There was sighting of them at the market, around the same time that Gigi, Hakim and Thomas were there.

"Do you know where they usually hang?" Gigi had asked, finally hopeful after days of constant worry.

"Yes." The inspector Danso had replied.

"Ok, perfect! You need to go there right now."

"No."

"What do you mean, no?"

"It's not the way to operate, Mrs Montagne. If we make a move right now, there is a high possibility that the gang will see it coming. We cannot throw ourselves into their expecting hands now, can we? We have to make them believe that they won until they put their guards down and then we will act. For now, the best thing to do is to get the money they requested and give it to them, just as planned."

"But...What if they don't release Thomas after that?" Hakim asked.

"Don't worry, sir. We will keep an eye on their location at all time and nothing will happen to the kid. I will reveal this piece of information to you...We have been waiting for a long time to gather enough evidence and have the members of that gang prosecuted. This is our chance and we won't let it pass through our hands."

Gigi and Hakim decided to trust inspector Danso. They tricked Shan into believing that they were doing exactly what she wanted but they also prayed that she'd keep her end of the bargain. They wanted Thomas to be back with them, safe and sound, before the police would try to arrest the gang but of course, things wouldn't go as planned.

Hakim and Gigi were in inspector Danso's office when Shan called to tell them that the gang had turned against her. The officers were already getting ready to leave, inspector Danso securing his bulletproof vest.

"What's happening?" Gigi asked, so pale that veins under her skin were visible.

"We already have a few of our men following them." The inspector explained while picking his weapons. "Our guess is that they are heading to the port to smuggle the kid into containers and take him overseas. We won't let them do this, okay? We are going to get your son back. You just have to wait here and-"

"Wait here?!" Gigi screeched. "You must be joking. There is no way I'm staying here while my boy is about to get shipped off somewhere."

"Exactly!" Hakim added. "You can't expect us to stay here as if nothing's happening. You need to take us with you."

Inspector Danso gave them a strict look:

"Can't you understand that this is a life or death situation? Do you want to jeopardize your son's rescue? You cannot come with us. You will have to stay here and we will keep you updated."

"How often?" Gigi asked.

Inspector Danso sighed:

"As often as it will be convenient, Mrs Montagne."