Epilogue | The Letters

Epilogue

Aelius

(The letters he wrote to Daisy)

[The Meeting]

Dear Daisy,

Dr. Bhaskar thinks writing letters will help me cope with the loss. But I figured if I kept writing to dead people, it would only cause me more pain. So, I'm writing this letter to you instead. I will look at the stars later tonight and seek my apologies to my parents. They will understand, I know.

The summer before the beginning of my junior year, I had to leave my home in New York and move in with my grandparents. It would have been a fun trip, the most beautiful summer. Only it wasn't. I hated that I were to stay with them because no one was waiting for me back home. I hated the idea that I lost mom and dad. I hated everything around me, including that I had to unpack my things all by myself.

Then I saw you leaning against the doorframe of my new bedroom, in your baby pink summer dress, and a box of cookies in your hand. Aunt Julian wants me to share this with you. That's what you said. I snapped my head in your direction mid-way, arranging my comic collection on the shelf and almost dropped those comics to the ground if you hadn't walked up to me and taken them from my hand.

We didn't talk much that day. You offered to help me unpack, and I, nodded. We ate cookies, and you looked breathtaking with those cookie crumbs all over your mouth. I had an undying urge to brush the ones clinging to your cherry-colored lips, but my heart did a weird flutter, when I looked at your lips. That was the first time I wanted to kiss you.

I didn't.

You left after the cookies were over, and I stayed back, lying on the rug where you had been sitting a moment ago and staring at the ceiling for the longest hour. You put me in a daze, Daisy Eve.

Love, Aelius

***

[The Falling]

Dear Daisy,

Today was a great start to junior year. Maybe, you didn't notice, but I watched you swimming in the pool during lunch hour. I wondered if you've had your lunch or not, but then I didn't want to come on too hard. So, I resorted to see you from a distance as you lapped in the crystal blue water like a literal Mermaid. And I kept grinning like a fool for the rest of the day.

I would've said no to the party. After all, Dr. Bhasker did tell me to avoid parties as much as possible. He said when you walk around with a hole in your heart- you try to fill it with anything offering momentary numbness from the pain. But I couldn't say no. Not when I knew you would be there at the party too.

As I expected, it wasn't a great place to be when you're new to the town, and not many people knew you. However, when you have a nice appearance, people do notice you. I got noticed. But not from the one I wanted to.

You didn't so much as look at me, Daisy. You were avoiding me. So, I had to lay down my cards, and giving you the dare to kiss me was something I had randomly planned. Okay, fine, maybe I got a little jealous when you kept looking at Alexander Reed with those heart eyes. I despised it.

I didn't think you would go with my dare, so it certainly, took me by surprise when you kissed me. Maybe, I was the one who initiated it. The thing is, I don't remember. All I remember is that your lips on mine were the most amazing feeling in the world. You destroyed me for any other girl.

It was a lie, Daisy. I was no expert in kissing. Hell, I had never kissed a soul in my life before that. You were my first kiss. My perfect first kiss, even if it lasted only for a few seconds.

I carried the feel of your lips on mine for weeks. Day and night, replaying it, over and over again in my dreams, in my daydreams, and every time our gazes met in the classroom. But you, Daisy, you didn't look even one bit affected. And just when I was hoping that I had finally found the anchor to my happiness, you had to go on and announce to the entire school how Alexander Fucking Reed proposed to you. How could you be his when you belonged with me? At least that's what I had been dreaming about for weeks, and you broke it in a second.

The way I feel for you is never replaceable and ever indestructible. I knew it because I tried, and I failed. I tried forgetting the feel of your lips, kissing any girl who wanted to kiss the best kisser on campus. What a joke? One lie that you deemed the truth, and I was carrying legacy of it. I didn't mind, though. I was willing to do anything to stop pining for a girl who never acknowledged my existence.

You found love in Alex, and I became the best kisser in our grade, our high school, and our town, exactly in that progression.

Love, Aelius

***

[The Confession]

Dear Daisy,

I should apologize for breaking your heart. The thing is, I couldn't let Alexander Fucking Reed take advantage of you.

I knew Micaela was cheating on me with Alex. Why wouldn't she? I had been the reason behind her betrayal. She may or may not have read these letters I'd been writing to you.

So, just know that it infuriated me when I saw Alex and Micaela making out in the library. And it freaking drove me crazy when he kissed your cheek with those cheating lips just a minute after that. I had to show his real face to you, and that's why I made sure you came to my birthday party along with Micaela and Alex. And whatever happened after that was something I never expected but always wished for deep in my heart.

Someone once told me that it takes more than just a kiss to fall for a person, and it's indeed true. I didn't fall in love with you because you were my first kiss. I fell in love with you because one look at your face and my world didn't appear so lonely anymore.

Love, Aelius

***

Words : 1062