Chapter One

I reluctantly rolled to the other side of the bed to turn off the alarm that was placed on my nightstand. I lay on my bed with my head facing the ceiling and contemplating whether to have an extra five minutes nap or get up but I immediately snapped out of that thought knowing It was a school morning and I had to get up and prepare for school. I stood up and unplugged my phone that was placed on the nightstand next to my alarm clock to charge and seeing my phone completely charged, I smiled at my phone screen. Well, those were the type of messages that made me smile and I was quite unconcerned about my not-so-interesting life.

On the other hand one of my best friends, Rachel had woken up to a "Good morning my sunshine" text from her boyfriend, Nathan, to which she smiled and replied with a beautiful message. Rachel was a lovely person and she had a perfect lovey-dovey type of relationship with her boyfriend.

While my other best friend, Sharon had woken up that morning to a message on her phone from her boyfriend, Mide, that read "Last night was fun with you" she had replied with a tongue and an eggplant emoji biting her lips and reminiscing what they did last night. Well, Sharon was the daring and adventurous one among us which made me wonder how she became my best friend because I had imagined from my secondary school days that I would easily make friends with boring people like me who only cared about their academic life. But I guess fate wanted us to be together because the three of us had clicked from our first year of college when we met at the registration hall to complete the whole registration process that required us to be bonafide students of our prestigious school.

We attended University of Lagos and stayed off-campus. I went to school from home because my siblings and I lived close to my school while Rachel and Sharon had rented an apartment not too far from where I lived so we all went to school every day in Sharon's car.

I had my bath and put on a simple t-shirt and a pair of black jean trousers in preparation for school. That was my go-to outfit even though my friends have told me severally to try something different but I love being simple and this was me expressing simplicity at its peak. I grabbed my bag filled with books that I placed on my study chair the night before, looked at myself in the mirror, and smiled feeling enthusiastic about school. I head downstairs to the dining room for breakfast before my friends would arrive to pick me up. My elder sister, Vivian, and my younger brother, Stephen were already at the dining table with our house help, Aunty Joke, who was dishing out our breakfast.

"Good morning Aunty Joke, good morning sister Vivian" I greeted as I approached the dining room.

"Good morning my dear bawo ni (how are you)?"Aunty Joke asked.

"I'm fine ma" I responded

"Good morning Jane hope you slept well?" Vivian asked

"Yes, I did thanks sis. Ehn Ehnnn Stephen, you didn't come back to me regarding the assignment you wanted me to assist you with I hope you did it already"?

" Oh no I forgot. Can you help me out with it now pleaseeee"?? Stephen begged rubbing his palms against each other and giving me a pitiful look.

"No Stephen I can't help you with it. You should remember early next time besides my friends will be here soon"

"Stephen that's true o, you are getting so lazy these days and I need that to change ASAP, you know you are writing your junior final exams this year, "Vivian said frowning her face at Stephen.

"I'm sorry sis I'll change" Stephen replied already looking remorseful.

"You better. I think that's the horn of your school bus. Hurry up so they don't leave you behind"

Stephen takes a huge gulp of his cup of tea and grabbed his bag.

"Bye sis," He said heading towards the door

"Byeeee" Vivian and I replied in unison.

"Be a good boy at school today and do not forget to complete your assignment too" Vivian says at the top of her voice so that he would hear her

"Okay sis, I will" Reaching for the handle of the door and exiting the house.

"I wish he can just get serious with school work the way you do. He needs to stop depending on you to do his assignments all the time" Vivian says to me sounding a lot concerned

"I know right... Well, I believe with time he'll change and...oh Sharon is calling my phone I think she's here gotta go now. Bye sis"

"Oh okay bye dear, and try to return home early I don't know when I'll get back from work today and Joke is running errands till evening. I don't want Stephen to be at home alone"

"Okay, no problem tell aunty Tomi, I said Hi, "I said leaving the dining room and heading towards the door entrance.

" Alright, I will", Vivian replied.

Sister Tomi and Sister Vivian worked together at a renowned law firm. Sister Vivian works as an attorney in the firm and Sister Tomi as her legal assistant and they had grown to become close friends even outside of work.