Thirteen (Sophia's Birthday Part 3)

Clayton's POV:

With two people working, it takes much less time than usual to get the birthday decorations and everything set up. I look over at the clock as we are getting into bed and it is 11:55. Then I hear my phone buzz. Who would be texting me at this time? I see a message from Sophia that says "Are you still awake?" I text back "Yeah, why?" She ask "Can you come in here?" I send a thumbs up and say to Amelia "Soph just sent me a message asking me to come to her room, not sure what is up or how long it will take, so go ahead and go to sleep." She interjects and says hopefully "Oh, real quick before you go, I promised Soph I would ask you if she could wear makeup tomorrow....?" I am not a big fan of that idea. I think the face I make illustrated that because she continues "Come on, it's her birthday. I promise I'll make sure she doesn't go overboard." I sigh and say "Fine, but ONLY tomorrow." She smiles and kisses me goodnight before turning out the lights. I am really outmatched between these two.

Sophia's POV:

Clay sends me a thumbs up and in a couple minutes I hear him knock on the door and come in. The first thing he says is "Why are you still up?" I shrug and say "Can't sleep." he sits on the edge of my bed and is about to say something when he notices the clock and says "Hey, it's 11:59, it's almost your birthday!" We watch the clock for a few second and see it flash on 12:00. He starts singing obnoxiously "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU..." and I just roll my eyes and try to hold in the smirk until he finishes. When he is done he hugs me and says "Happy birthday kiddo, love you so much." and kisses the top of my head. I smile and say "Love you too bubby."

I ask, feeling kind of embarrassed and like a little kid, "Can you sleep in here?" He looks concerned and ask "Why Soph? Are you okay?" I start to tear up a little bit and say "I'm fine... it's just that you and Amelia are getting married soon AND I am a teenager now, so I don't think that I'll really ever come in your room to sleep again or ask you to come in here, so I just wanted to make sure that I knew when it was the last time and could appreciate it." He says "Wow Soph, that's very insightful." and looks lost in thought, after a pause I ask "So...?" and he snaps out of it and says "Sure kiddo, I can do that." I see him send a quick text, probably to Amelia, and then I scoot over so he can lay down next to me. We lay there for a few minutes in the dark and then I whisper  "Are you still awake Clay?" He whispers back "Yep." I don't really know why we are whispering, it just feels like the right thing to do in the dark. I whisper back "Are you sad?" and he responds "What do you mean?" I say "You know, that I am a teenager?" He says "Maybe a little bit." and I respond "Yeah, I figured..." then after a pause I ask "Do you think we are going to end up hating each other?" He responds, sounding surprised, "What do you mean kiddo?" and I continue "Well, isn't that what happens when you become a teenager?" He says "That's not going to happen to us." and I ask "Did you hate Mom and Dad when you were a teenager? I don't really remember much from back then." He pauses for a minute and then says "No, I don't think so...." and then he adds sadly "They weren't really interested in my life. I guess I got in trouble a few times, and I wasn't very fond of them then, but I mostly just took care of myself and tried to stay out of their way. And took care of you." and he leans over and kisses the top of my head. I smile at that, but it also makes me feel a little sad for him. I ask "Do you think that was because they had me, so they were too busy?" He says "No sweetie, that had nothing to do with you, that was about them." There is a moment of awkward silence. I say, trying to make him feel better, "I'm sure they were interested in your life bubby... maybe they just didn't know how to show you." I hear him sigh quietly and he says sadly "Yeah, maybe." then his tone changes to cheerful and he says "Well, I know I am interested in your life, want to tell me what's been going on with you?" I say "Nope, I want to hear about you." He says "I don't really think you want to hear about my work kiddo, it's not very interesting." I sigh dramatically and say "Fine..." and then say excitedly "Oooh, I know, tell me about one of the times you got in trouble when you were a teenager, the worst thing you ever did!" He says "I don't know if that is a good idea Soph..." I whine "Please bubby..." and he says "Fine, but pretend like this story has one of those tv disclaimers about not trying this at home, got it?" I say "Yes sir." feeling very excited about hearing this story. I can't imagine what Clay could have done that was bad.