𝟕

SCARLET'S POV

•••

Today Estella decided to take me to this bakery that she claimed was 'the fucking best.'

Compared to other bakeries and cafés in this city, this one was small. However, judging by the amount of people that entered and exited the small shop, whoever owned it was doing a good job at keeping their customers satisfied.

I was soon to become one of those happy customers.

I was in awe of the desserts that were on display. There was a board hanging atop the glass counters that contained a variety of cookies, cakes, and everything in between and beyond, all options written in white chalk lettering.

Estella was laughing to herself as I stared in amazement at all of the sugary food, her hands stuffed in her pockets. She suggested something called a cronut to me, and I was going to order one before I spotted a familiar boy.

"Rory!"

The brunette looked up from his phone, a soft smile on his face when seeing me.

I returned the action and sped-walked over to the table that he currently sat at, watching as he shut off his phone in order to focus on me.

My best friend watched from afar as I slid into a seat across from Rory with a grin.

He chuckled, "Nice to see you looking well and not drunkly crawling on top of a bar."

I laughed and rolled my eyes, "Yeah whatever, what're you doing here?"

"Besides just picking up a few things, I'm waiting for my partner to finish with their shift." he answered, shooting a quick glance towards the area where someone in their work attire was smiling as they handed a child a cupcake.

"What's their name." I curiously asked, waving at them once they sent a smile in our direction.

Rory's cheeks flushed at my interest in his partner, "Aster. They're non-binary."

I smiled at the blush on his cheeks, "That's such a nice name."

"I'll be sure to tell them you said that."

I nodded approvingly and reached into my pocket for a sharpie, "We should all hang out sometime whenever we're all free."

Rory agreed with my statement and took the napkin that had my phone number on it,  carefully placing it in his jacket pocket.

I stood up from my chair and began making my way back to Estella, "It was nice seeing you, Rory. The next time I see you I expect my hair clips back!"

He shook his head in amusement, a small smile on his lips, "I was actually thinking I'd sell them on eBay and collect a few dollars, do you not like the idea?"

My only response towards him was to send a playful glare.

He laughed once more before grabbing his phone and continuing to scroll through it as he did before I arrived.

"Isn't that the bartender from the club we went to last weekend?" my best friend questioned, jutting her head towards Rory.

I looked at Estella and nodded at her as I ordered the dessert that she suggested along with a cupcake for us to share.