58 - She's Not After Me Like That.

Everyone stood silently in Namjoon's office as Jungkook explained what had happened. The vehicles didn't have any number plates and they had turned to roads leading to the countryside that is not covered by cameras so Yoongi was not able to get a lead also.

Namjoon listened carefully and after a short discussion, dismissed everyone. Everyone except Taehyung. Namjoon waited till everyone was out of the room and door closed before speaking up.

"Kim Taehyung." Namjoon said in a tight voice and Taehyung felt an uneasiness in his heart.

Things do not look good when Kim Namjoon calls you by your full name.

"Yes?"

"Taehyung, Why do you think we have partners?" Namjoon said in that same tight voice and Taehyung looked down in shame. "We have partners so that they can watch our back. That's why we always move in pairs. Why did you send him alone?"

"I'm sorry." Taehyung's voice was filled with regret and Namjoon sighed at that.

"Tae, I understand that you're a little weak when it comes to him. And to be honest, we all are. if he asks for something, any of us would give in."

Namjoon's voice was a little softer this time and it made Taehyung look up at him. Namjoon gave a small smile but then his expression hardened again.

"But you have to understand, work is different. If you can't keep your professional and personal matters separate, I will have no choice but to transfer him to somewhere else. I can't have something like this happening again where either of you could have been in danger."

Taehyung quickly nodded his head in agreement. "I'm sorry Chief, this won't happen again."

Namjoon looked at the other for a few seconds before nodding. He didn't want to scold Taehyung when he knew how upset he was about what happened but Namjoon can't help it. Everyone under him is his responsibility. It's his responsibility to keep them safe.

He was just doing his duty.

___________________________

Taehyung came back to his seat with a troubled mind as all he could think about was Jungkook. He doesn't know what he would do if anything had happened to the younger. He was planning to take the younger home earlier but to his surprise, Jungkook was not in his seat.

"Chim, where's Jungkook?" Taehyung asked his friend who looked up from his computer with a confused face.

"Huh? I don't know, he didn't come with us. I thought he stayed back with you." Jimin answered in a confused tone.

He picked up the phone and dialed a number. "Hyung, is Kookie with you..... oh, okay..... no, no everything's okay."

Jimin cut the line after saying bye. "He's not with Yoongi hyung either."

Taehyung was starting to get worried and was just about to call Jungkook when his phone rang. He pulled it out of his pants pocket to see that it was Jungkook who's calling.

"Koo, where are yo-...... oh, I'll be right there." Taehyung cut the line and gave a small smile to Jimin before running off to one of the meeting rooms as Jungkook said he's in there.

It took only a few minutes for Taehyung to find Jungkook but he was a little worried to see the frowning face of the younger one.

"Baby.." Taehyung called in a cautious voice. "What are you doing here? What's wrong?"

Jungkook looked as if he's deep in some thoughts before looking up at Taehyung. "Tae, I don't think Chae is after me like that."

Taehyung blinked a few times as he could not fully understand what the younger one was saying. This was rather random and definitely not something Taehyung wanted to have a conversation about, especially right now.

"What?! Not that it's the the fucking time for this, but what the hell is wrong with you?! Do you still think she's innocent? Why-" Taehyung was just about to lose his head when Jungkook hurriedly waved his hands to stop him.

"No, no! That's not what I meant." Jungkook said in a panicked voice, trying to stop his fiancé before he flew off the handle. "I don't think she's after me, romantically. Tae, I think she's after me."

It only takes a few seconds for Taehyung to understand what the other was trying to say. Once he did, his face changed from being annoyed to a deadly calmed one. This is not a man you should mess with.

"What makes you say that?"

"I'm not sure. She's always trying to get me alone. Maybe, I don't know, it's something more than flirting. And... she knew I was coming home alone today." Jungkook said the last part in a whisper but Taehyung still heard it clearly.

"How?"

"She called me to ask whether I was free today and I told her I was out of town and coming back. Then she asked whether it was related to the embezzlement case Seojoon was handling and like an idiot, I told her which case it was. I didn't realize I was giving out information."

Taehyung thought for a second. It's true that the girl always gave him a bad feeling but he thought it was because she was trying to flirt with Jungkook. Maybe there really is more to it.

"Call your brother." Taehyung instructed the other who immediately picked up his phone, while Taehyung called Namjoon.

___________________________

Everyone looked at the screen Yoongi was showing them with shocked eyes. The cyber god had pulled out the record of the prosecutor's assistant, Son Chaeyoung, from the day of her middle school graduation. But the thing was, the girl shown in the photos is not the one they had known in the past few weeks.

Someone was impersonating the real Son Chaeyoung.

Namjoon immediately called Park Seojoon and informed him about the situation. To say that Seojoon was shocked, is an understatement. They have a strict protocol to follow when hiring a new person and whoever this girl was, she couldn't have done it alone. Seojoon agreed to give full cooperation as well as conducting an investigation from their side immediately.

Taehyung was beyond mad. Someone had made a detailed and really elaborate plan, just to get his fiancé alone. He couldn't believe how he had let the girl flirt with Jungkook, right in front of his eyes. He felt almost numb with the realization of just what could have happened if Jungkook had gone for coffee that night.

Yoongi didn't even speak one word as he worked his magic in cyberspace with gritted teeth. Someone is trying to hurt his precious brother and he's determined to find out who.

They came up with few potential suspects, based on Jungkook's involvement with the past missions as the younger definitely didn't have any enemies in a personal capacity. They deal with dangerous criminals everyday and while there were plenty that might have wanted revenge, few only had resources and means to carry out something like this.

They were discussing various plans when suddenly, Jungkook's phone rang. He looked at the display and then back at the others.

"It's her."

Taehyung swore loudly while Yoongi made a movement as if he wanted to grab the phone. But Namjoon raised his hand and stopped them both. He gave a little smirk to Jungkook before speaking up.

"Answer the call, Kookie. You are going to have a dinner date tomorrow."