Chapter 17

I open my eyes but shut them immediately at the light. I groan sitting up, feeling like two-hundred-pound weights are trying to pull me back down. I blink slowly to adjust my vision and see my soft wolf cover. 

I gaze to the right and see my white soft carpeted floor and pink slippers. I clench my fist, gathering the soft cover and pull it off my legs. I swing my legs out and lay my feet flat on the carpet. 

"Geez, what happened? Feels like I got drunk last night." I slur my tired voice and get out my soft white bed. 

"Hey sleeping beauty." Austin walks in from my teal blue door.

"Austin? What are you doing here? How did I get in my bed?" I ask him, holding my right hand to my head that is swaying with water slushing about.

"Well, you passed out after crying over Stella's body and John asked me to bring you here. I slept on the couch, don't worry." Austin leans on the door frame gazing at me with concern laced in his eyes.

Memories of last night's events slowly return and huff in disbelief. Stella getting shot, the merman kissing me and the crying and place shaking because of me. I look up at Austin and his eyes widen.

"Woah!"

"What?"

"Your eyes."

"What about them?" i grow worried.

"They are glowing gold." I rush to my bathroom mirror and he is right.

Looking past the brown tangled nest hair and a black tank top that i swear i never had on, i see gold eyes glowing in my reflection. Gold Eyes! What the heck! Wait, the merman kissed me, the Potion!

"Austin did you find a vial when you took off my suit?" i ask Austin walking back in the room.

"Uh yeah, i put it there on the bedside table." I rush over grabbing the small glass object in both of my hands.

I lift it to eye level and turn it to shine in the light. It's blue color swirls and welcomes me to drink it. I uncork it and swallow a small amount down my throat. I close it and place it back on the bedside table.

I look over to Austin and he pushes off the door frame to walk closer to me baffled about something.

"How are my eyes?" I ask and he scuitns.

"They are back to normal? How is that possible and what is in that vial?" Austin asks.

"This vial was given to me free by the guy at the Kelptide Wonders. He said it will help keep the merman powers away from my system." I sigh in relief that it worked.

"Geez, you should have gotten that the moment the merman arrived. Furthermore, how are you feeling about Stella's death?" Austin leans slightly away from me in case I might explode.

"Relax, all that crazy has been done and gone. Just unexpected. The worst of it is who would kill Stella?" I ask Austin, getting up from the couch that is at the foot of my bed. 

"Sarah, we are not the police, leave it to the professionals." Austin reaches out with his right hand and pulls my wrist back, my body following, and ends up sitting on his lap.

"I know but things are clicking in my head and I just..." I sigh slumping on Austin's body." I want to know the truth, about who my family is, who dared to kill Stella, and what I am going to do with that information."

"That is a lot of things to know." warm and soft hands begin to run slowly along my arms.

"Yeah, and it keeps piling up leaving me more frustrated than before."