Chapter 24

Hunter

     Hunter lay on his bed, his back still sore from his father's beating. Two days had passed by and he was still in pain. It hurt to move and his father was furious with him for being hurt - as if he could control that and Hunter continued to lay in bed.

     The door burst open and Hunter's father appeared at the doorway. His eyes were hard as he glared at Hunter and Hunter couldn't remember a time his father wasn't angry - it was as if the inferno within him never set out.

     Hunter sat up, grimacing as his back felt like it would tear open.

     "Are you hurt?" Hunter's father asked.

     "I'm getting better," Hunter assured. "I promise."

     "I only punished you for disobeying me," his father said. The anger diminished as he strode over to Hunter - his hand empty of tools to hurt him. "I only hurt you because I care for you. I am teaching you obedience. Because if you are obedient, you will rewarded heavily."

     Hunter nodded numbly. He had believed that months ago before he met Cassia, but things were different now.

     "Why did you almost tell the princess our plans?" his father asked. His voice was cold, but his eyes shone with curiosity. "I thought you hated her for what she did to me?"

     "I don't know," Hunter said. "I was lost."

     It was partially true. Hunter was lost. It was as if Cassia was grabbing one of his hands and his father was grabbing the other, and they were both yanking at him to join their side while Hunter was stuck in the middle. It made him feel as if they were tearing him in half. Half of him belonged to his father and half of him belonged to Cassia, and he didn't know who to choose.

     "Maybe I should remind you why we grew up with nothing," his father said.

     His father settled down on the edge of his bed, leaning forward to peer into Hunter's eyes. Hunter didn't have many memories of his mother, but he looked more like her than his father who was all ice and darkness.

     "My parents were the former king and queen of Oflaria. I was the prince and soon to be king," his father said, his voice low and wistful. "And that princess of yours - her father was my friend once upon a time. My best friend and he tricked me into duelling him for the crown.

     "He spread lies about how he was a helpless little man who couldn't win. He would even duel me back in class and lose, so I agreed to duel him to make my parents proud. But then, he bested me and stole my crown. Right at my coronation."

     His father's breathing grew heavier - his shoulder rising and falling as his hands curled into fists.

     "Can you imagine that?" his father spat. "Losing my crown to my best friend was so degrading my parents banished me from the castle. I was forced onto the streets without money or shelter and for years I was forced to steal to survive. I eventually found a job as a mere seller, but that still wasn't enough. And you witnessed that. You grew up watching me struggle to feed you, so why would you side with the princess?"

     Hunter was silent. He remembered this tale vividly - of how Cassia's father betrayed his father. It was cruel, Hunter thought. Even now, he couldn't believe what Cassia's father did and it was the only reason why he didn't hate his father.

     Because to lose everything was to lose the parts of you that made you human.

     "Do you know what it's like to have your existence erased over a foolish mistake?" his father asked, his voice dropping to a whisper. "No one knows I'm the rightful heir. They think I'm a worthless peasant who is scavenging trash because I didn't work hard enough, but I was fooled. Tricked by someone I thought loved me and that's why you must never love anyone. You understand, Hunter? Loving the princess will only lead to pain."