Chapter 18

Hunter

     Hunter and Chase were getting ready for the next contest - a rock climbing contest. Hunter had put on brown slacks and a loose long sleeve white shirt. He ran his fingers through his brown hair, trying his best to tidy it before he would see Cassia again.

     She'd been avoiding him like the plague. Even though she said nothing would change between them, she stopped looking at him, stopping reacting to him, and it tore him apart.

     "I think Cassia hates me," Hunter blurted out, glancing at Chase who was shrugging on a loose black shirt. "She's been avoiding me. I ruined everything."

     Chase frowned as he straightened out his shirt.

     "I think she's embarrassed," Chase said. "You said she made the first move right? Maybe she thinks you're the one who doesn't care for her."

     Hunter barked out a laugh. "I doubt that. She's the one to say I'm nothing, but a rival."

     "It's only because she doesn't know how you feel."

     Hunter tensed. His hands shook as he ran his fingers through his hair again.

     "Why don't you tell her how you feel if you're so bothered by her avoiding you?"

     Hunter was quiet for a moment. Chase was examining him with a serious expression, his gaze unwavering and Hunter felt himself unfold.

     "Because I'm scared to," Hunter confessed. "I'm absolutely petrified to tell her how I feel. What if she rejects me?"

     "I highly doubt she would have slept with you if she felt nothing. Unless she's an incredible actress, but I doubt that's one of her skills."

     Hunter blushed madly. His heart still raced whenever he thought of Cassia touching him like treasure she unearthed.

     "I just don't know when it comes to Cassia," Hunter said. "She's confusing and I'm scared of scaring her off forever. She's already giving me the cold shoulder."

     "But if you don't do anything at all, she'll shun you for life."

     Hunter said nothing to that. He was absolutely lost, but Chase and Hunter were silent as they finished getting ready. They were almost done when someone knocked on their door.

     Hunter frowned and opened it up.

     "Hi," Liana said. She was standing there in pants and a long sleeve red top, her blue eyes gleaming. "Can I talk to you?"

     Hunter glanced at Chase, unsure. Ever since Liana tipped over Cassia's canoe things were off between them.

     "Please," Liana said, giving Chase a pointed look. "Alone."

     Chase sighed before he took off and Hunter's heart sunk. He didn't want to be alone with Liana, but it was too late as the door fell shut.

     "Are you mad at me?" Liana asked.

     Hunter and her stood in the middle of his cabin - beneath the blinking lights. He towered over her and she gazed up at him, her blue eyes full of sorrow.

     "Kind of," Hunter confessed. "But, you're one of my oldest friends and I could never hate you. So don't worry. I'm upset, but we're okay."

     Liana sighed heavily. Her body relaxed as her shoulders grew slack.

     "I never meant to nearly drown Cassia - I would never hurt someone like that. I swear it was an accident."

     Hunter shook his head. "It may have been an accident, but it was still cruel. I'm sorry, but I'll never forget what you did."