Chapter 16

Hunter

     Hunter rubbed his face, trying his best to calm his racing heart because his mind was consumed by Cassia. He could still feel the way she touched him, the way her lips moved against his full of desire. Under the spray of the shower, they got lost in each other. It felt as if Cassia had grabbed his hand and pulled him under to drown with her. But strangely, drowning with Cassia hadn't been suffocating.

     He flushed. He could still remember the way he picked up his clothes and wished her goodbye, and how Cassia couldn't meet his eyes after they left the shower. They'd gone too far too fast and he feared the consequences. He feared he pushed Cassia away, even though he didn't regret what they did.

     "Are you alright?" Chase asked.

     Chase glanced at him from his bed. He was eating a berries and he was in the middle of chugging down water. He was reading a book about weapons; as he usually did to keep up his training.

     "Yes," Hunter said. He paused, contemplating on whether or not to confess to Chase, but then it flew out. Because for once, he couldn't repress his emotions. "Actually, no. I went all the way with Cassia and I'm scared she hates me now. I caught her at a vulnerable time and what if I made her do something she wasn't ready for?"

     Chase coughed horribly, his body wracking. He put his water bottle down on the night table separating their beds and he gaped at Hunter. Hunter's cheeks were enflamed.

     "You slept with her?" Chase said. Horror was all Hunter could hear in his voice. "How in the world did that happen?"

     "I brought her back to her cabin and one thing led to another..."

     Chase shook his head as if he thought he was dreaming and Hunter could relate. He could still visualize Cassia pulling him in for a kiss - the way her hands trailed down his back. It felt like a fantasy he conjured up.

     "Well, um, congrats," Chase said. Hunter blushed more madly. "Wow, I mean I knew you were into her, but I didn't think Cassia reciprocated how you felt. She seemed shy around you at times, but I thought it was... I don't know. I never thought it would lead to this."

     Hunter wrung his hands together. His heartbeat quickened at the memories of Cassia blushing.

     But, under the spray of water Cassia didn't seem nervous. She had thrown herself into their kisses, into their touches as if she was experienced. Hunter didn't have many relationships, but no one had ever touched him the way Cassia did. No one had ever made him feel the way Cassia did. It was intoxicating.

     "She was in a vulnerable state," Hunter said. "After what Liana did, she broke down and I'm scared I took advantage of her. I swear I didn't mean to though."

     "Hunter... you wouldn't do that. I don't know what exactly went down, but Cassia doesn't seem like the type to do irrational things. She must have been sure of what she wanted."

     Hunter buried his face into his hands. It was humiliating talking about this. Because it wasn't the physical aspect that left him clinging on - it was the emotional part. It was the way Cassia had whispered his name over and over again, her voice a prayer in his ears that he would hold her forever. He shivered at the mere thought and it embarrassed him further.

     "I talked to Liana by the way," Chase said. Hunter pulled his face out of his hands to look at his friend. "I told her what she did was horrible and if she tries to pull anything like that again, I'll make sure she's sent home. That was too far."