Twenty-Six

"Can I ask you a question, Mia?" Emily breaks the silence that had surrounded us as we watch some Netflix show in Harper's room.

Truthfully, I don't think any of us are watching it. Emily had put it on after we had eaten, but I couldn't tell you a thing that has happened or even how many episodes have passed. I've been staring at the wall, lost in the tangled mess that is my thoughts.

It's all I ever do it seems, is think, and think some more. So many twisted roads and branches in my mind, even I'm having a hard time keeping up.

"Sure," I blink hard when I turn to face her, the white wall causing my eyes to hurt from the instant contrast.

Emily pauses the show, freezing on some girl with tears in her eyes, watching me carefully or is it maybe reflecting back at me? Either way, there is something in her face that has me turning away.

"What's going on with you and Austin?"

"Austin?" I don't know what I was expecting her to ask, but that wasn't it.

"Emily!" Harper scolds, shaking her head at Emily in disapproval, "That's not your business,"

The two of them share a look I don't understand and my brows scrunch together in confusion. Me and Austin? Why would she think there is something going on between me and Austin?

He's a complete ass. Most days I argue with myself on if I should just kick him in the family jewels so his assholeness dies with him. I'd be lying though if I said he isn't handsome but all the wolf-men I've met so far have been.

My mind flashes back to the bathroom when he was helping me clean up after he dropped me. His body so close to mine, his skin so warm compared to mine every time we touch. I can see his eyes watching me, looking at me in a way I'm not used to, causing goosebumps to form on my skin and butterflies to swarm my belly.

"I don't know what you're talking about?" I meant it as a statement but I could hear the question in my voice after I realize one huge, scary truth.

I had wanted Austin to kiss me in that bathroom.

How the frick did that happen?

Emily looks from me to Harper, debating on saying something. Whatever it is, Harper is clearly against it, as she shakes her head slightly.

"What?" I don't like feeling so left out especially when it's obviously something about me.

"Em," Harper warns again, before looking at me, "She's just being nosy,"

"Nosy and worried are two different things," I can hear the offensive tone Emily uses as she shoots a death glare at Harper, "Austin has never and I do mean never reacted like that before over anything in all our lives. He's always so collected. He almost shifted on the spot like some newly shifted teenager! I think it even freaked out Jax."

Since I had met Austin, he has done nothing but seemed angry about my being here. True, it was far worse this time, but as soon as he found out I was human and Lotus' Luna, he wanted me gone and he made it known. I don't know what Emily thought she saw, but it was nothing more than frustration at the situation my being here has put them in.

"He just felt guilty that he was the last person with her before she disappeared," Harper supplied with a shrug, and even though it was where my thoughts were headed, I didn't like hearing it.

There is a small part of me that wanted to hear that he was worried about me. That he searched high and low, not because of guilt but because of something else. But I wouldn't admit that out loud. Instead, I forced a smile and a nod doing my best to choke out the word, "exactly,"