Part 32: Keeping up with the parents

"Did you think that I wouldn't find out your stupid plan? I was discussing with the high members of the council in New Orleans when an assistant informed me about your plan. An assistant!'' He sighed in exasperation. ''I keep receiving calls from the International Werewolf Council. You've gathered an army, and you want to fight a witch and a fallen werewolf, they said. Who do you think you are?" He roared, while his face got a dark shade of red.

"I'm Alpha James Campbell, and this is my pack. These people are my responsibility, and I won't accept anyone to tell me how to manage my pack. Not even you, father," he said, without flinching, as a frozen look took over.

"I order you to annul this nonsense and inform the other Alpha's that their services won't be needed," responded Mr. Campbell as if he hadn't heard his son's words.

James smiled coldly and, refusing to listen to his sister's pleads through their mind-link, got a step closer to his father.

"The only person that is not needed here is you, father,'' he said while the last word sounded bizarre in his mouth. ''You can stay and help us with this battle, or else, I must ask you to leave. My pack needs peace, and I won't tolerate any disturbances."

"You deny your own father because of her? I know that you only participate in this battle because she's involved," he said without looking at Laurel, and at every mention of her, he took a strange expression, as if tasting poison.

Laurel's eyebrows furrowed in anger, and she would say some not-so-nice words, but James's look stopped her. This was his fight, and she had to trust him and let him handle it.

"This battle is for the greater good. These people must be stopped. I understand that many of your friends don't wish for their fall, because they won't have the same advantages as now. But, as long as I am alive, I won't let monsters roam on this earth because the rich want to be richer. We can discuss it in my office, as much as you want, but under no circumstances will you refer to my mate like that. She's your Luna, and if you still want to be part of this pack, and unless you wish to face the consequences, you will refer to her with the utmost respect."

The usually talkative Mr. Campbell seemed to be at a loss of words. His son had dared to speak to him like that, and if that wasn't enough, she was there. Many unknown people, certainly her friends, were there. He couldn't be humiliated in front of outcasts.

"Let's go to the office, then," he offered and started walking without even glimpsing at his daughter.

Alex's arm was already around Liz, comforting and protecting her, and she leaned a little bit more into his hug, denying to let her tears fall.

Laurel and James exchanged a glance, and that was enough to say everything they wanted.

She turned around and saw Tyler, Thomas, and Lena watching the scene.

"I think our dinner is over. Will you drive Asher and Sara to the campus? Let's not create more tension," she suggested, looking at Thomas, and went to say goodnight to the pack members that had heard everything.

"Yes, mother. You made it very clear that you don't want to be involved in this subject. Are you even interested in our lives?" Liz shouted, frustrated while she made gestures in the air, even though her mother couldn't see her.

Alex and Tyler exchanged glances, and they silently decided that, for their good, they shouldn't talk to Liz at that moment.

"Is there something we can do?" Laurel asked, with lowered eyebrows.

Alex, Tyler, Chloe, and Laurel were sitting in the living room and were looking at Liz through the library door, who was speaking on the phone.

Everyone had left half an hour ago, and James was still in the office with his father. They couldn't listen to them because the room was soundproof. Liz had called her mother, who was on vacation on an island of the Pacific Ocean. Her mother didn't know about her husband's intentions, and she wasn't interested in being involved with his business.