Part 22: Surprises and people from the past

I dedicate this chapter to akiimarvelous for the beautiful banner she created, and you can see it at the end of each chapter.

''This is a soul stone. A witch can store her soul, but the process is painful, and your soul won't stay whole. A piece of it is lost, and you never take it back. We avoid it, not only for the pain but also because it goes against nature. Stones like these are light orange when they are crafted, and while the soul stays there, they get darker. When the soul is released, the stone remains dark orange. I think my mother understood that I was coming for her and did that to save herself. Sometime later, she retrieved her soul.''

''Are you sure that it is hers?''

''Yes. Everything inside the cave screams her name. The carved words, the test, and the beasts. After all, Charles told me that I would find the truth to my question. Here it is.''

''Now what?'' Thomas asked.

''Now, we go home, and we rest. Chloe, Zach, and Asher might have figured out something. Then, we find a way to kill my mother for real this time.''

They followed a long corridor that was beside the waterfall. Eventually, they reached the other side of the mountain. It was a long way towards their cars, and they were exhausted. The sun was up again, making them realize that they had lost track of time inside the mountain, and a day had passed while they were in the cave. Laurel gave James two bottles with a potion she had made as a medicine for the wounds of Alan and John, and after agreeing to meet the other day, she left with her friends to Thomas's house.

Their friends greeted them with excited faces that soon dropped when they heard their stories. They said that they had discovered quite a few things, but everyone needed rest, so they postponed their meeting for the other day.

Laurel stripped from her clothes and had a hot bath. She wore her pajamas and laid on her bed, quickly drifting into sleep. For the first time in years, only a few nightmares appeared to scare her, but they quickly dissolved into tranquil dreams. She let the faces of her loved ones lead her to lands of fairies and friendly elves, and the land of dreams welcomed its lost child.

James woke up early in the morning and went jogging in the woods like every day. He even let his wolf, Treyton, flex, so he shifted into his wolf form and ran among the trees. One hour later, he returned to his house and found his family making breakfast.

''Boys wanted pancakes,'' Liz said while stirring the mixture in the bowl, and Tyler was preparing the table.

Currently, in the packhouse, which was the Alpha's house and the biggest of the pack, lived James, Liz, Alex, and Tyler. Their parents were constantly traveling, and therefore, they had the house to themselves. Of course, the house was open for every member of the pack, and the four of them often hosted movie nights or dinner nights with friends or with the youngest members of the pack.

That day, Alex had invited three teenage werewolves that he was training these days to have breakfast with them. They wanted to bond with their people and make everyone understand that they were a big family.

James took a shower, changed his sweaty clothes, and went to the kitchen where everyone was already sitting. His plate was full of pancakes, and Tyler was preparing more.

''I checked on Alan and John. The potions helped a lot, and their wounds are healed, but I told them to rest today,'' Alex informed him. ''Also, I talked with Chris about us leaving. He can handle the pack for today and if something urgent happens, he will mind link us. The house of Thomas isn't far from here.''