Part 42: Epilogue

She was in a meadow, a place full of spring and colors, hidden deep in the woods. Tall, imposing mountains stood around the place, securing it from unwanted visitors.

"Little Heaven" was its name, and everyone had accepted it after her proposal.

She was lying on the ground, her fingertips brushing the fresh grass and her eyes looking at the crystal blue sky. Her hair was cut in a long bob, its edges barely touching her shoulders.

Hearing the distant voices and cries of joy, a pleased smile formed on her lips.

"We are going to regret this. I warned Alex about this, but he didn't listen to me. He doesn't understand that when our kids exercise so much, they don't get tired but more excited and less cooperative. I told him that he's responsible for tucking them to bed."

The young woman lied breathless beside Laurel and tried to steady her breathing.

"We promised them a small excursion, so we had to keep our word. I suppose you want the future Beta to be a man of his word," she teased her.

"Whatever," she answered at the loss of a smart answer.

They turned their heads and looked at each other.

Their grins were huge, and one had to look very carefully to notice the small shadow of sadness deep inside their eyes.

"I talked to Lucy. She's in love with Paris. Tim is the best teacher, and she said he has taught her a lot of things. Can you believe it? Soon the whole world will read my sister's articles. Tim says she's a natural, but we don't tell her that."

Liz put her finger in front of her lips, attempting to promise that she would keep the secret. They both knew that Tim was their greatest fear: he was one of those people who could never keep a secret.

"Mom, look! It's a primrose!" A three-year-old girl with golden, braided hair appeared, holding the flower in her hands.

The two women raised their backs to see the girl, and Liz took her daughter's flower in her hands.

"It's beautiful, Ava, but your aunt won't be so pleased."

Laurel was giving the little girl a disapproving, yet warm look.

"Didn't we agree that we don't cut flowers, little bird? This is our home, and we must preserve it. I know you meant no harm and that you are a smart girl. That's why you won't do that again."

Ava lowered her eyes and put her clasped hands in front of her.

"Yes, auntie. You are right. I won't do that again."

Laurel opened her arms, and the girl ran into them.

"Ava, be careful. The baby might get hurt," her mother said.

"Ava knows how to take care of her cousin. Even if she hasn't met him yet."

Laurel put her hand over her huge belly, and Ava smiled in agreement.

"Go to your father and uncle."

"They don't want me." Ava pouted her lips and put her hands in front of her chest. "Aurora and Andrew say they can't play with me because I'm too young."

Laurel laughed. "They are only three years older."

"Exactly!" Ava responded but finally left when her father called her.

"I wonder from whom she got her attitude." Laurel continued laughing when Liz's eyes narrowed threateningly.

"I forgot to tell you. Chloe called from Japan. Tyler is learning some new techniques with Max, and little Zachie has sleep troubles."