Chapter 29: It was my fault

Cassandra POV

Since Carlos attended the seminar with his beloved secretary during the weekend, I choose to spend time with Scarlet in order to forget about my argument with Carlos this morning. I don't know what happen to him, but he seems to keep defending his secretary as if I was being paranoid.

"Why are you so angry, babe?"

"Angry and upset are two different things."

"Alright, whatever that makes you happy. Why so?"

"These few days we keep arguing every time we talked about his secretary. I think he loved her more than me. Probably, she is his real girlfriend, not me."

"Ok, I got it now, because of Miss J." She teased me. I huffed with her statement.

"Come on, this is not about being jealous. It hurts when he trusts her more than me. I told him that skeleton confronts me about the darkroom and-"

"Wait, she confronts you that she did that?"

"Well, not directly. Carlos convinced me that no one in the company knows about the incident except the guys, you, the driver, and the security guards. I even asked a few employees about this, but he is right, no one knows. Now, the question is how did the skeleton know about this?"

"Yeah, something is fishy. I don't think Carlos and her were close enough until the extent to share secrets."

"I swear if they are in that kind of relationship, I will break up with him!" Thinking about the thought of their intimate behavior made the anger boiled in the pit of my stomach.

"Calm down, babe. We're getting stares." Scarlet runs her eyes around. People were glancing at us acting like we were just committed a big sin. It was my loud voice that accidentally caught their attention.

"I told Carlos that I suspected his secretary, but he said we need proof for this."

"I know you are mad but I agree with him. You need proof for this. Maybe, instead of convincing Carlos that she was behind the incident, we can put some effort to look for the proof?"

"So now you're thinking about some detective scene?"

"Sounds challenging, isn't it?" She wriggles her brows with so much fun showing on her face.

"That's absurd. I don't even know how and where to start."

"Don't forget that we have three brothers that will help us anytime." My mind immediately went to Miguel, Tristan, and Manuel when she mentioned them. A smile crept on my face, at least for now I can ask more people to help with the plan. Moreover, their position in the company will ease the job.

After the talk with Scarlet, I decided to go back home by myself even though she insisted on asking Miguel's driver to drop me at Carlos's home. I just want to be alone for a while, strolling around enjoying the view of the city.

Suddenly, I felt a strong hit on the back of my head. I hope I have the strength to look at the person who did that but the hit was too strong that it made me dizzy and blurred my vision instantly. I have no strength to fight back and I have no choice but to let the darkness took over me unwillingly.

Carlos POV

"Damn, it has been three freaking hours!" I paced back and forth in the living room furiously while waiting for any news about Cupcake.

"Hey, Carlos, we know that you're worried about her but can you please take a seat for a while. You have been acting like this for three hours. Everyone is trying their best to find her." Manuel advised.

"How can I calm down in this situation? Tristan, is there any progress?"

He shook his head before answering me, "I asked my people to search for her in a few places. Hopefully, we can have some clue." He patted my shoulder, giving me some hope.

I sat on the edge of the couch while massaging my temple. Looking around, I heard Scarlet sobbed in tears while Miguel tried to calm her down. It breaks her when she learned that Cassandra didn't arrive home after they parted, and she kept blaming herself for that.

"It was my fault." She kept chanting the sentence over and over.

I felt bad for her too and I blamed myself at the same time. I thought what I planned will succeed but it failed eventually and it put the risk to Cassandra's safety. I blamed myself for being so confident about it.

Cassandra POV

My head hurt like it almost tear apart especially in the area where the culprit hit me earlier. Taking in my surrounding, the realization hit me when I noticed that I was surrounded by darkness. My heartbeat immediately beats wildly and cold sweat started to cloud my forehead. I couldn't make any sound due to the sharp pain in my throat. The small space suffocated and made me breathless.

I moved my hands to touch around and noticed that I was in a small wardrobe or cabinet. And all of a sudden, the door of the cabinet opened and the light hit my sight. I closed my eyes for a moment to adjust to the brightness.

"I think you're getting comfortable in the dark." I heard an evil laugh. Hearing her voice here doesn't surprise me at all; the skeleton.

"I knew it was you!" I seethed.

"But sadly your boyfriend doesn't believe you, isn't it?"

"Why did you do this to me? Because of Carlos?"

"Oh, forget about your boyfriend. I never thought about him. My main aim is to destroy you."

"Why do you hate me so much?"

"Maybe I should remind you about your past, your ex-boyfriend."

"H-how-" The thought about him made my breath hitched. I kept reminding myself that he died. There is no way he can harm me anymore.

"Two years ago, he was the person that I loved. I confessed to him and convinced him that I can make him happier than you but he was senseless. He thought that you loved him. His eyes were blinded by your presence. Do you know what the funny thing was? Every time both of you fought, he came to me. I was the one who made him felt better and after that, he will back to you again acting like nothing happen. The day he was shot in front of his house, I was there. I saw it with my eyes and you could never imagine how much it hurts me to witness the incident. It was your fault," she slapped my face and causing the pain to increase to an extreme level.

"It wasn't my fault. It was him!"

"You, because of you he died! I swear from that day I will hunt you down and help him to revenge. Guess what, God was on my side. He helped me by sending you to the company." She let out a peal of humorless laughter, mocking at my helpless condition right now.

"You will regret whatever that you plan to do to me," I realized something that Carlos gave me last few days. I sneakily pressed the small button hidden behind my locket. I don't know how it will work but inaudibly I prayed that I still have the chance to meet Carlos.

"My job now is to send you to hell. But don't worry, as much as I want to send you there, I will spare you a little time with some fun. Your scream satisfied me anyway." This time, she pulled me out from the small cabinet by my hair. She slammed me to the corner of the room. Her legs landed on my stomach a few times attacking me. I couldn't say anything to make her stop except let out screams that hurt my throat more.

I didn't fight back; my energy seems to give up on me. My body was too weak till the darkness and unconsciousness took over me. This time, I was grateful for it. At least, it won't hurt me anymore.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤