Chapter 27: Finish what you started

Carlos POV

I observed something odd about Cupcake today. I caught her daydreaming a few times, and she lost focus on whatever that she does. Not to mention that she started the day in the office with the injured hand due to accidentally spilled the hot coffee while later it followed by the incident she tripped on the floor and to add on before we leave the office she accidentally hit her head onto the door. I kept observing her without her being aware of it.

While I descended from the stairs to the kitchen, I saw her busy cutting the vegetables in the kitchen.

"Ouch," she suddenly jumped and pressed onto her finger, without noticing I approached her from behind.

"What happened, Cupcake?"

Her eyes widened as she caught my presence, hiding her hand behind her back and pretended everything was in the right place.

"Nothing, nothing happen, I plan to prepare some vegetable soup but you need to wait for a while. Maybe you can wait in the living room?" She said in one breath tried to chase me out of the kitchen.

My brows rose, paid no heed to her words instead eyeing her with a 'don't lie to me' look which she understood it. She stepped backward as I prowled towards her, but it leaves her no choice when her back hit the kitchen island.

She suddenly pressed her lips to mine which caused me off guard but I instantly know her motive; to distract me.

"Nice move, Cupcake, but I'm not falling for that. Try harder," I grabbed her hand from her back that she hid from my eyes and examined the blood that oozing from her finger, "what is this?"

She twirled her head to the side, "hmm, fingers?" She said with her puppy face acting innocent so that I won't get angry with her.

With narrowed eyes, I warned her, "don't hide anything like this from me, you get it?"

She nodded her head a few times. "It's just a small cut. You don't-"

She couldn't complete her sentence when she caught me sucked the blood from her finger. Her lips partially parted and I felt that she tried to pull away from me but I tighten the grip on her hand.

"It looks better now."

"Why you do that?"

"The best way that I know to stop the blood."

"Yeah, it works though." She examined her finger and smiled sheepishly.

I placed both arms on either side of the kitchen island and leaned forwards. "What's wrong with you today? Tell me, Cupcake," I urged her.

"Nothing wrong, I think I'm just tired."

"Let me tell you one thing, lying is not your expertise so don't make a fool of yourself."

"I'm not lying," she retorted, "I need to cut the carrot," she continued, diverted my attention.

"I grabbed her wrist before she could move, "we will continue our talk later," I said before removing my hand and walked to the cutting board to help her to prepare the dinner.

"What are you doing?"

"Finish what you started."

"Oh, I don't know that my boss can do something like this."

I saw the playful smile on her face.

"Go sit on the stool, Cupcake before I make you sit."

She strode to the stool across me with her lazy steps, not before rolling her eyes. With her chin rested on her palm on the kitchen counter, she watched my every movement, her eyes showed amusement.

"I know I'm sexy. Maybe you can snap a few pictures if you want this image to stay," I smirked without turning my eyes from the cutting board.

"Right, that's a great idea. Wait," she moved to where she placed her phone and appeared in front of me in a few seconds. I heard the clicking sound from her phone which I choose to ignore. I shook my head when she took my words seriously.

I ignored her and got busy cooking the vegetable soup for our dinner. In a few minutes, the soup is done and I served it in two bowls and placed it on the kitchen counter.

"Be careful, it's hot," I warned her when she sips the soup without blowing it.

"It burns my tongue but it worth it," a grin spread over her face, "I think you should cook more often."

"Since when do you have this sweet lip?" I pinched the bridge of her nose while chuckling.

"Uhh, I thought my lip was sweet all this while?"

It was my turn to roll my eyes at her words. "Perhaps, I need to double confirm about it later." I teased her, refused to back off.

She leaned forwards boldly and whispered the word, "pervert."

I chucked before moving to another topic. "Alright, back to our topic earlier, what's wrong with you today?" I eyed her waiting for her reply while sitting across her, enjoying the soup. "Don't start with your trick again, I won't buy it." I pointed my finger towards her as a warning sign.

"Okay," she inhaled a deep breath before continue, "do you think anyone in the company knows about the incident of the darkroom?"

"I warned the guard and the driver that working that night not to tell anyone about this. I don't think they dare to go against my word."

"Are you sure?" Her facial expression suddenly changed to terrify.

"I don't hear anyone talk about it in the company either. What is the problem? Is anyone mentioned anything about that incident?" I placed my hand on her palm, sensing her uneasiness.

"No, forget about it. I'm just curious about it."

She waved her hand in the air as if she can brush away the terrified look on her face but it was too obvious to be ignored. She hid something and refused to let me know. I could feel her body tensed, but she tried to shield it with a cheerful smile on her face.

'It's time for boyfriend's duty.'

Cassandra POV

The next morning

I noticed one of the employees in the pantry. Without letting the chance slip from my fingers, I walked toward her and started the conversation with her, hoping that I could get some information out from her.

"Hey Caroline, good morning." I greeted her, acting normal.

"Hey Cassandra, good morning. How are you doing?"

"Good, good, thank you for asking. I want to ask you did you heard anyone mentioned anything that happens on level eighteen recently?"

Her face scrunched in an attempt to recall something, "nope, that floor is under construction. I don't think anyone will go to that floor since everyone in the company aware of that." She said while stirring the drink inside her cup.

"Oh ok, thank you for letting me know. I just knew about it."

"No problem, Cassandra. I need to go first. Talk to you later."

"Oh, alright. Talk to you later." I told her with a cup of coffee, ready to meet Carlos.

If she said no one knew about the incident, which means that the Skeleton was lying to me. And, last night, Carlos confronts about the same thing.

'That means...'

I gasped at the moment my mind seems to match the missing puzzle.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤