Chapter 32

Leah POV

"It belongs to Dylan, Jamie. The ring belongs to Dylan."

As I say those words my brother, or my supposed brother in law, stood there shocked. He went through his little sack of belongings, vigorously searching for something.

He was mumbling incoherent words while Dylan and I had a confused look on our faces. Just as we were about to interrupt his search, Jamie holds, what seems to be a photograph in his hand.

Walking towards us with a dirty stuffed bunny and a semi ruined photograph Jamie holds it up towards Dylan.

"If you are really my brother you should know what these are."

"Jamie, I don't know if I'll know. When I landed in America, I suffered memory loss. I couldn't remember anything other than a few dark glimpses and phrases."

Dylan kneeled down to Jamie's height and held his hands as those truthful words descaled his mouth. Jamie looked towards me, as if asking me if my husband was telling the truth. Nodding my head in reassurance, Jamie looked sorrowfully at Dylan.

"Well then, if you are truly my older brother then I can maybe help you remember some things of our family."

Nodding his head Jamie and Dylan sat on the floor as he started explaining everything. Deciding to give them their space I was about to leave the room when both brothers called out for me at the same time.

"Leah,"

"Stay with us."

"Come on, sit down with us. You're family too."

With that I sat beside Jamie as he started explaining the most he knew of his family.

"This is our mom and dad-"

He said pointing to the photograph in his hand. Dylan grabbed the picture and rubbed his thumb over his parents.

"What's their name? How were they like?"

"Our mother's name is Eliza and our father's name is Alessio. They were the kindest parents ever. Despite the war circumstances, they loved and protected me as much as they could."

"Are-are they alive now?"

"They died when I was seven in a bomb attack in the market."

Their roles seemed reversed, as Jamie explained to all of Dylan's eager questions of his family. Both brothers hugged for the loss of their parents as tears gathered in my eyes.

"Momma said that I have an older brother. His name was Luca and he was fifteen years older than me. She never had a picture of him but said he always slept listening to the same lullaby she sang to me. Luca also always slept with this stuffed bunny."

"What happened to Luca?"

"Mom always cries when we talk about him, but papa once said that they sent him to a safer country to live a normal life. It was before the war turned out this bad, but papa predicted the outcome of the war."

Discreetly Dylan swallowed the sob trying to escape his throat and wiped his tears before they could escape his eyes. I moved to him and held his hand in reassurance. I'm sure all of this is overwhelming for him.

Dylan held onto the tattered bunny and closed his eyes.

"Sing me the lullaby, mother sang to you."

Jamie immediately started humming a tune, to which Dylan's tears started strolling down his face. His sight nearly broke my heart. His eyes opened and he took a glimpse at the picture just as I noticed his demeanor change.

He closed his eyes tightly and let go of the bunny as he held his head in his arm. A groan left his mouth which soon turned into a scream as he curled up into a ball.

"Dylan! Love! What's going on? Please you're scaring me!"

"Head...hurts...m-memories."

"Jamie called the doctor immediately."

As fast as he could, Jamie walked to one of the soldiers, as they ran to inform the doctor.

"Dylan, I want you to breathe. Everything is going to be alright. Deep breaths Dylan."

I heard him take deep breaths as I tried to remain calm. I would do anything to make his pain stop as I saw the strong man withering in the ground clutching his head crying in pain.

Jamie came in with John and Kennedy as they all ran into the room. With the help of John and Kennedy they were able to carry Dylan to the medical ward. When we entered the doctor was awaiting the Sergeant and told us all to leave.

Every minute seemed to feel like an eternity as I sat down on the floor and cried. Jamie came and hugged me as I hugged him back.

"Is Dylan going to die?"

"No, of course not. He has too much to take care of if he dies. He won't leave us, Jamie."

A couple hours later of endless waiting, Kennedy decided to bring us food which I refused to eat. John had to take care of Sergeant duties and left a few minutes after.

"Leah"

"Hmm"

"This happened to Dylan before, but it wasn't this bad."

"What do you mean Jamie?"

"Just a few hours ago, just after you left suddenly, Dylan clutched his head like this, but he was able to walk to you."

"Oh god, he has to be alright."

After nearly two hours, the doctor finally came out of the room. He was expressionless, which scared me even more.

"How's Dylan, everything is ok right?!"

"Mrs. Romano everything is fine for now. He is taking rest at the moment. I believe something has triggered his lost childhood memories.

After talking to him, I believe he received most of them back. The chances of this happening again is very low, but we have to be prepared for anything."

"Can we go see him now?"

"Yes, I believe he is waiting for you."

I thanked god as I walked into the hospital room. Dylan laid there and turned his head towards us as he heard the door open. With a wobbly smile I hug him and listen to his steady heartbeat.

"Thank god you're ok."

"I'm glad too. I'm sure you would've brought me back from the dead to kill me again."

"Don't you ever joke about death. I thought something seriously wrong was going to happen to you

I cry in his chest as he shushes me and apologizes. I feel his kiss on the top of my head as he drags my boys to lay in bed with him.

"Hey Jamie. Come here."

I see something different is Dylan as he said that. I heard a crack in his voice as Jamie timidly walked towards us. Jamie hugs Dylan and apologizes profusely, confusing the both of us.

"I'm sorry Dylan. It was my fault you got hurt. I shouldn't have shown the pictures."

"Hey buddy, listen to me. It might have hurt slightly, but because of what you did I have my memory back. Memories of our mother and father. The same woman and man in that picture, singing the same lullaby to a boy who looked just like you, but with green eyes."

"Wait, does this mean both Jamie and you are really brothers?!"

"I believe so. What do you think, baby brother."

"That I'm happy you're alive, big brother."

"Oh my, Jamie you are my brother in law then!"

We all laugh at how the roles in our family have revered. From Jamie being my brother to him being Dylan's. Despite the labels of our relationship being different the love we have for each other as a family has only increased.