CHAPTER 42

CATHERINE

I can't believe I survived 3 days on my own, alone at home. I'm so proud of myself. This probably would sound pathetic to any other 17-year-old, but they won't understand what it's like to finally have the house to yourself for the first time in your entire life.

Sadly, today is the day that privilege is going to be taken away again.

"Hello sweetheart." Dad hugs me as he enters the house in the afternoon. "How was it?" I ask, pulling away and he shrugs, "Like any other one would be." I don't ask any more questions in fear that I may sound suspicious.

"You had lunch?" He asks and I shake my head, "I was going to warm up some pasta I made last night." He smiles, "No need to. I got us takeout." He handed me a cloth bag which had some delicious smelling chicken in containers. 

"I'll just freshen up and then we can eat okay?"

I nod and keep the food in the kitchen before heading to my room. I have a math test on Monday and for the first time, I'm actually feeling sort of prepared. Even though Luke's and my study session that day included quite a few(8, I think) unnecessary breaks, we did manage to complete the portion. 

Almost all the breaks were because of me. But hey you can't blame me okay? If your boyfriend always unconsciously pouted his lips and twirled a piece of his hair while concentrating on a sum, you too would not be able to hold back. Don't even try to defend yourself.

I talked to mom a lot these past 3 days too. It was nice to hear her voice again. I told her she could come meet me since dad wasn't home and she did, but only for half an hour since she got an emergency patient call. I guess that's the life of a doctor. 

My phone rings and I pick it up smiling, "Hey Li." "Hi, listen did I leave Mia's colouring book there by mistake yesterday?" I scrunch my brows and look around my room, "Nope. You didn't." He groans, "Are you sure? Coz it's not anywhere at home and this girl is eating my brains about it. Can you check again?"

I nod, even though he can't see it and look around, finally finding it in the corner between my table and wall. "Hey I found it. How it reached so far behind I don't know." I say and he chuckles, "It's probably Mia's doing. Okay I'll come pick it up in a few." And cut the call.

While extending my hand to grab it, a random glass piece fallen under the table poked my hand. I hiss and examine the red fluid flowing out of my skin. I need to get this covered before an infection sets in.

"Thank goodness you said that Catherine, I really don't know how she would've reacted if she heard my name."

I hear dad's voice coming from behind his room door. No I wasn't snooping around. I just happened to pass his room while going to get some band-aid from the medicine cabinet.

Who is he talking about? And as if Gloria wasn't enough, WHO THE HECK IS CATHERINE?!

"Yeah no she did think it was an unknown number, don't worry. You're a good actor sweetheart." He chuckles, "Wish I could've talked to you these past few days but I was busy." He sighs and murmurs an okay and bye before I hear his footsteps approaching the door.

I quickly grab one band-aid and scurry to my room. Who is this Catherine he was talking to? Could she be the lady dad goes to meet every so often? Wait, does dad even meet only one lady? Ugh Brooklyn shut up!

While having lunch, dad asks me about school to which I shrug, "School's good." I pause and clear my throat, "I have this group project in science with some girl named Catherine." He doesn't react, but I see his posture stiffen and he nods excessively, something he does when he's nervous. I don't think he knows I know that.