CHAPTER 34

SO MUCH FOR A GETAWAY CHRISTMAS

BROOKLYN POV

"Are you sure I can go to Luke's today, Brooks? Seriously if you have a problem with it, I can tell them I'm busy or something." Liam suggests as he drops me home on Tuesday. I roll my eyes,"Yes for the hundredth time Liam. You can go. They need help, even though you're not much of it."

He gives me a blank stare and I chuckle, getting out of the car, "It's okay. Really. If I'm not talking to him, it doesn't mean you shouldn't." He stays quiet for some time, "Why are you not talking to him anyway? I mean, he did what he thought was right, right?"

I sigh, "Liam he had no right to hide stuff like this from me. For so long that too. Mom doing it is different, she's my mother. He's not."

He scoffs, "Of course he's not, he's a guy." I stare at him with an 'are-you-serious' look and he rolls his eyes, "Whatever, see you tom-oh wait, we have holidays now. See you whenever then." he grins and I nod, waving him goodbye.

I've managed to avoid Luke in school and outside these two days. I feel like a horrible person doing it, but I need time alone. He tried talking to me when I entered school on Monday, but Liam told him to give me space for a little while and that's what he's been doing. Now I don't know if that makes me happy or sad.

I acted as normal as possible to dad too. I didn't want him to know that I found out about this yet. I want to see how long it will take him to confess about it, until then, I'll just play along.

As for mom, she called me yesterday to know how I was, but I lied and said it didn't matter. I don't think she believed. She then went on to tell me that she still wanted to talk to me about whatever we were going to, that day at the restaurant but I dismissed her invitation to come over because I really couldn't handle any more worry that her 'talk' could carry. I'm sure whatever she wanted to tell me could wait till I'm not on the verge of breaking down.

Back to present, I laugh at a video Harp sent me on Instagram adjusting my earphones as I take out my keys and unlock my front door. I'm shutting it with my leg, still looking at the phone, when I suddenly feel the urge to look up.

I see dad standing with his arms crossed over his chest, facing mom. Removing my earphones, I look between the two of them,"W-what's going on?" I hesitantly ask. Dad looks at mom and then turns to me, "Brooks, your mother wants to take you to her hometown this Christmas. I told her about how we always go to Liam's or Harper's house for dinner, but she said that you would prefer going with her."

I look at mom and she smiles. I seriously want to go and throw my arms around her for saving me from having the most awkward Christmas of my life, but instead I shrug, "I mean, dad, it's nice going to Liam's and stuff but you know, I wouldn't mind mom's hometown this year. I've not seen Grandma and Papa for long either."

Dad looks at me like I just slapped him on the face, which is pretty dramatic, since my reaction to this was pretty normal. "Y-you want to go with her?" He asks astonishingly and I purse my lips, shrugging. Mom flashes a satisfied smirk, "You heard her Henry." She turns to me, "We'll be leaving tomorrow morning okay sweetie? Coz the drive there will be tiring and I wouldn't want you tired on Christmas."

I grin and nod, "Okay mom. Can you help me with my packing?" I ask innocently and she nods, smirking at dad before walking with me to my room. I shut the door and turn to her, grinning. I throw my arms around her and squeal with excitement, "Thank you so much mom! I seriously needed a break from him." I say and she moves away, holding my face, "I know. That's why I thought of this. And mama and papa have been asking about you a lot anyway. They want to see how their beautiful grand-daughter is doing now."