Chapter 23: Move On

Chapter 23: Move On

Alena Fleur

"I'm sorry, Alena. I can't," Elian replied.

I gritted my teeth and spat out, "I can't believe you're rejecting me again, even after knowing that I'm now aware of our past!"

"I'm sorry, but I can't afford to bring you back into this life and hurt you again. Last time, they were going to kill you. The accident kind of saved you, to be honest. Otherwise, who knows what they were going to do to you? And this time, I didn't mean for you to get involved. I thought this was a company problem, but—"

He stopped talking when he noticed that our backup had arrived. A few sedans came and tackled our chasers.

"You can park somewhere now, and I can take over the driving," Elian said.

I ignored his words and said, "No, I still don't get it. Elian, don't you understand? I want you back."

"And I don't," he said sharply. "You should move on, Alena. It should be pretty easy for you, considering you still don't remember our past."

My eyes were starting to get blurry from tears, so I parked the car near a children's park and asked, "Have you, Elian? Have you moved on from me?"

"Like I said, it doesn't matter—"

"It matters, okay? Both of our feelings matter. I'll get it if you don't love me anymore. But can you look me in the eye and say that you don't? Because if you can, I won't bother you anymore, Elian."

I waited for him to shift on his seat and turned to look at me, but it seemed like he knew his acting limit. That was all the confirmation I needed.

"If the only reason you don't want me back is that you think you will bring danger to me, then I'm not giving up on you, Elian," I declared.

Before I got to know our interconnected past, I was thinking that I only liked him, but it was never just 'like' with him. It has always been love. 'Like' could never be enough to describe my overwhelming feelings for him.

I loved Elian, and I knew my previous self loved him as well.

I could see the love I carried for him in my eyes in those photos, and I could see that love reflected in Elian's eyes.

All this time, for the last three years, I had felt that I was missing something very important in my life. I had never truly felt happy. Little did I imagine it would be the love of my life whom I was yearning for.

It was ironic how I was falling in love with Elian, even without knowing our past. I fell for the same man twice. And I didn't want to lose him again.

By losing him once, I had lost my true happiness. I didn't want that again.

I wanted him to be happy as well. My heart clenched as I remembered my past two years in Storm Dynamics. Elian had never seemed happy, like his heart was broken beyond repair. I never guessed I was the reason behind it.

"Elian, can't you please give us a second chance?" I pleaded.

Elian stayed quiet.

I took off my seatbelt and got closer to him. "Hey, talk to me. Tell me what you really want."

He turned his head to look at me, but his breath hitched when he found my face too close to his. "I—I want you to move on, Alena."

He tried to turn away, but I placed my hand on his cheek so that he couldn't remove his eyes from me.