Chapter 6: Avoiding Or Not?

Alena Fleur

The next day, I mustered my courage and decided to go to the office.

Elian was right; I couldn't avoid him forever. So I got dressed up in a white blouse, light pink suit, and black formal pants and marched out of my apartment with a smile plastered to my face. I wanted to be completely professional.

I took the public elevator, instead of the private one. I would take no risk of bumping into Elian today. After all, I had a meeting with him two days later. Until then nothing would require me to see him. Therefore, it was going to be an Elian-free day!

I entered my cabin to find Anya arranging my desk.

"Good morning, Ms. Fleur," she greeted with a bright smile.

I smiled back. "Good morning, Anya."

"I missed you so much yesterday," she whined and came to give me a hug.

I chuckled and returned her hug. "Did anyone give you any trouble in my absence?" I inquired, pulling away from the hug and putting my bag on the desk.

Anya was thinking hard, and just when I noticed a familiar red file resting beside my laptop, she started to say, "Oh, I remember! Sir didn't accept the weekly financial report from me. He told you to give the report yourself."

Just when I thought it was going to be an Elian-free day... Just great.

I felt like shooting someone. Either myself or Elian.

"And also, the meeting from Friday was rescheduled. It's today at two."

Never mind, the person I was going to shoot was Anya.

"Why didn't you inform me earlier about all of this?" I demanded.

"But I did send you yesterday's briefing," she said in utter confusion and started to check her phone. Her eyes widened in horror before she looked at me sheepishly and murmured, "Sorry, I forgot to press 'send', so the mail became a draft. I sent it to you now, though."

I shot her a flat glare and sarcastically let out, "Very helpful."

"Espresso, Ms. Fleur?" she offered, trying to sound cheerful.

I tried to keep glaring but ended up sighing and slumping on my chair. "Yes, please. This is going to be a long day," I groaned.

And indeed, it was.

I was dreading for the clock to hit two when Anya came into my cabin and informed me, "Ms. Fleur, Sir is on a round."

I glanced at the time which read eleven. I gave her a nod of acknowledgment, and she left.

Elian always came on rounds once or twice a week randomly so that the employees stayed on their best behavior all the time. But I had never seen him check up on the executives back when I was a regular employee, so I was safe, right? He wasn't going to come—

Someone knocked on my cabin door, and I immediately ducked under my desk in fear.

"Ms. Fleur, I brought the files you asked for," a feminine said from outside.

Oh, phew, it's not him.

I sighed and sat back up on my chair. "Come in, Ms. Green."

She came in and handed me the files and left. I started looking through them when there was another knock. Thinking it was her again, I called out absent-mindedly, "Come in."