Prequel- Chapter 14: Last Fight

Elian Storm

"What should I say when I first meet them, Lance?" I asked, feeling slightly jittery.

"For the umpteenth time, Elian, I don't care," Lance replied flatly.

"Come on, help your brother out here," I whined.

"How should I know, man? Do you think I have experience with meeting my girlfriend's parents?" Lance retorted.

"Right, you don't have a girlfriend," I snorted.

"Who needs a trouble like that?" he said with a bored look.

"It's not a trouble—"

"Besides, can you just be a little disappointed that the XS members escaped from our hands?"

"I am disappointed, alright? In fact, no one is more disappointed than me." I frowned. "I am just trying to not let it get me down today. It's an important day for Alena. I don't want to dampen her mood with my sour one. Not to mention, I am gonna ask her to move in with me today as well."

Lance let out a small sigh and looked out the window, having enough of me being a smitten idiot.

I glanced down at my watch, checking the time. "I wonder if she's awake yet," I mumbled. "I want to hear her voice." I don't know why I felt like that, almost as if I would never get to hear it again.

Lance groaned loudly, and I chuckled lightly at his annoyance.

Today was Alena's long-awaited graduation. I wanted to be with her last night since she was sure to get a little sentimental about it, but I was stuck with my mission to catch each and every member of the XS gang. My twin, Lance, was in town, so he also decided to lend me his assistance.

I was going to put an end to the XS gang tonight and be done with this mafia life once and for all.

However, luck was not on my side.

The raid was a gigantic failure.

Somehow, information got leaked, and we arrived at an empty warehouse with a mocking letter, which slandered us on how dumb we were to think we could catch them so easily. It made me furious and scared at the same time.

Despite everything going wrong, I still wanted to be cheerful for Alena. She shouldn't ruin her day because of my mood.

I would tell her about my mafia life tonight, for real, and then if everything went well, I would ask her to move in with me. I know it was probably dumb to assume she would still wanna move in with someone like me after knowing everything.

But if nothing else, Alena each and every day showed me how much she loved me. That gave me a little confidence.

Once I dropped Lance at our parent's house, I called Alena.

She sounded weird on the call like she was mad at me or something. But after convincing her a bit, it seemed like she was all good again.

I was on my way to pick her up when I got a really ominous feeling.

Were things going to go that bad with her parents?

I shivered at the idea and decided to shake it off and concentrate on my drive.

I parked outside my apartment building and texted Alena to come out. She started to type in reply, only for it to be stopped a second later.

My heart clenched painfully all of a sudden.