Pack Dynamics

** Dakota's POV **

I got up quickly from my chair and began to pat Lia's back as she continued coughing. I grabbed her orange juice as her coughs began to subside and gave her the glass. "Drink." I instructed as I pushed the bottom of the glass toward her further.

As she drank it I couldn't help myself from teasing her, "You're supposed to eat the food, not breath it." Lia's cheeks turned a bright shade of red.

I couldn't help but laugh as she grabbed a napkin to hide her mouth, her eyes huge with surprise at my question, and said "Um, well." She looked away for a moment and seemed to try to collect her thoughts.

UB: Look at how cute she is when she's blushing and embarrassed!

HB: I don't get it, what's the big deal? That Tess lady said it like a nickname. What's so bad about that?

"I was just caught off guard by your question." Lia said as she wiped her mouth and rested her hand on the bar counter. She looked at me and apparently something in my expression was enough to cause that blush to burn brighter. "Ok, so before I can tell you about what a Luna is, you are aware of a wolf packs hierarchy?" Lia paused and waited for my answer.

"I mean, I know there is an Alpha and Omega and every other wolf is in between those two." I replied as I swirled another piece of biscuit in a thick helping of gravy sauce before devouring it.

"Right. Well, werewolf packs also have Alphas and Omegas. Technically the rankings go: Alpha and Luna, Beta or in my pack's case Betas, then we have everyone else in between," she nodded in my direction as she used the same phrase I had, "and then the omegas." She held up a finger and quickly took another bite.

"Now, those 'inbetweeners'," she called them, "consist of a great many things like: guardians, hunters, warriors, doctors, chefs, seers, witches, and much more." Lia leaned closer to her plate and got another forkful of her breakfast, which I assumed marked the end of her statement.

"Ok." I said slowly as I processed what she said.

HB: Oh. So not a nickname...

UB: OH YEAH! WE ARE A KING!

WB: More like a queen.

AB: NO WE AREN'T! WE CAN'T BE! We don't know the first thing about being a werewolf! We can't even shift! We can't be a KING!!

WB: I said queen.

AB: It doesn't matter! We can't be that either! We need to decline! Tell her we accept the sentiment but must politely decline the offer.

UB: ARE YOU KIDDING?! SHUT UP AB! We are in. So in. We are gonna be KING! Right WB?

WB: Right. King.

I decided to put the focus on Lia instead of my sudden obsession with a power I had no clue existed. "So, Tess?" I asked and pointed in the direction of the kitchens to confirm what I thought was her name. Lia nodded her affirmation. "She called me Luna?" I asked again, waiting for Lia's answer.

"Yes." Lia began, "Though, I didn't quite catch it until you asked..." She continued under her breath.

"Does that mean...you are the...?" I inquired as I tilted my head in Lia's direction.

"Alpha of this pack. Yes." She said as her eyes focused on mine and a proud yet mischievous smile played at her lips.

AB: FIRE! People this is not a test! Move towards the exits. Let's go people! This whole place is a tinder box about to blow!

HB: oh, you say this every time.

AB: DO YOU WANT TO DIE?

HB: What the h-- why is it so hot in here anyway? Who turned up the internal temperature?