19 | Nervous

"Vienna, you coming?" Olivia asks, looking back at me with Elea standing next to her.

I nod my head, pointing at my paper with my pencil. "Just going to finish this problem and then I'll head to my next class. I'll see y'all at lunch."

They smile at me and make their way out of the classroom. Once I finish the problem, I slide the piece of paper into my binder, stuffing it into my backpack.

On my way out, Ms. Mendes calls me over. "Yes?"

She smirks and crosses her arms, leaning back into the chair behind her desk. "So, Mr. Becker and I are going on an official date this weekend."

I grin ear to ear. "Knew y'all would like each other!" I shout, punching my fist in the air.

She laughs and her face softens. "How are you doing though?"

She's referring to the accident's anniversary that passed this past weekend. It's crazy, but I handled it way better than I thought I would have.

I give her an honest, but sad smile while fiddling with my necklace. "It was hard, but I had a lot of support. More than I realized."

She smiles without showing any teeth. "I'm glad. Is there anything else going on?"

Tilting my head, I watch her, confused. "What do you mean?"

Ms. Mendes twists back and forth in her chair. "Oh, I don't know. You seem happier."

My cheeks warm as I think about a certain blue eyed and brown haired boy.

She laughs lightly. "You're glowing. Does any of it have to do with a particular boy I saw you with at the fair?" she asks, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Ms. Mendes!" She laughs at my reaction. "I am happy, but I can't help feel a little guilty about the timing of everything," I admit, letting my head fall.

Her chair squeaks as she gets up, walking towards me. She places one hand on my shoulder and uses the other to tilt my chin up so I'm looking at her. "Vienna, don't ever feel guilty for feeling happy. You deserve it and please don't ever doubt that."

Gulping, I try to fight back the tears that threaten to roll down my face. Like I said, the accident can still be a sore subject every now and then. "Thank you," I whisper.

"Of course." She pulls me into a hug, wrapping her arms around me. Pulling away, she gives me a half smile. "I'm always here for you."

The door to her classroom opens and students start to make their way to their seats. Quickly, I wipe the few stray tears that've rolled down my face.

"Thank you," I say again.

She nods and writes me a note for my next class, knowing I'll probably be late. I walk to the bathroom and clean myself up, relieved that my face doesn't give away that I cried a little. Gripping my backpack straps, I fast walk to my next class.

Mr. Higgins' office comes into view and the door is open. He's talking to someone about graduation. He stands and shakes the hand of the other man in his office.

Skrrt.

My Vans make a squeaking noise against the tile as I come to a sudden stop, recognizing the other person in Mr. Higgins' office. My left hand saves me by bracing myself as I almost fall to the floor.

The other person is Jared.

Where does this man come from?

"Hello?" Mr. Higgins calls.

Fleeing the scene, I sprint to the bathroom and shut the door behind me. Slowly and quietly, I crack the door open to see if they've followed me down the hallway.