ERs and Bullet Wounds

'Band-Aids don't fix bullet holes
You say sorry just for show'
    ~Bad Blood -Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar

***

"Maya!"

She looks at me then down at her abdomen. Her eyes don't return to mine as her hand slowly moves to the source of the blood staining her dress. She falls down to the ground in a split second.

Mary turns around to face me. She's breathing heavily, her face stained with tears. Her hands tremble and she slowly puts the gun down.

"Daddy!" She cries. "Daddy, what have I..."

She chokes on the words as if she's unable to breathe. Her eyes are wide with shock and they roam around.

"Princess! Let's go!" The Man grabs her arm.

I run up to Maya and fall to my knees besides her. I quickly take off my jacket and place it over her wound.

"Mason." Her tear filled eyes look into mine. "Mason."

Her voice breaks and she tries to move. I carefully place her head on my lap, my heart beating loudly.

"Daddy, daddy." Mary continues to cry behind me.

"Mason, what's-" Maya struggles to speak.

Her tears fall from her eyes to my lap.

I look up, shocked as I begin to notice the crowd forming around us. Guests from the party surround us, all wearing the same shocked expression.

I look down at Maya again and this time her eyes are closed.

"Maya, Maya." I panic.

"I'm..." she opens her mouth.

I sigh and increase the pressure of my hand on her wound.

"Call an ambulance!" I scream at the crowd.

Commotion arises as people begin to search themselves.

"It's okay, it is going to be okay." Tears begin to blur my vision.

She tries to close her eyes again, her tears falling faster.

"Don't close your eyes, Maya, don't close your eyes."

She smiles and for a second I almost forget she's lying on the ground, bleeding.

"Say my name again. It sounds..." she grimaces and another tear rolls down my cheek.

"Maya." I manage a smile of my own. "I...I..."

More tears begin to fall from my eyes and I close them. When I open them again, she's looking up at me, still smiling.

"I love you, Maya Banks."

I am shocked by the words. I was battling with myself regarding how I feel about her.

You love her.

"Mason..." her smile grows but it quickly turns into a frown and she places her hand over mine.

"Sir, I'm sorry but you're going to have to move away from the scene." A soft voice says as a hand taps my shoulder.

I turn around and the bubble around me pops. It's no longer just Maya and I but the voices of our audience return to my ears and I can see all the blinding lights once more.

"Detective." I am both shocked and relieved to see her.

I quickly notice the two people in blue running behind her, pulling a stretcher.