Fists and Guns

I smile.

It's the first time I've heard him say my name. It excites the butterflies in my stomach further and I want him to say it again. Over and over again.

"Hmm..." I hum.

"I...I..." he struggles to speak.

"Miss, you have to come with me." I open my eyes and Mason straightens up.

"Huh?" I turn to the woman behind me.

"The Princess asked me to come get you." She nods her head in the direction of the stairs.

I quickly spot Mary and nod.

"Mason..." I turn back to him.

"I promise, I'm taking you home after this. You'll be safe." He kisses my forehead before the bodyguard ushers me away. I take one last glance at him and find him smiling at me.

My hand goes up to my face and my fingers play on my lips. I smile, thinking of him.

When we reach Mary, she immediately grips my arm, letting her nails sink into my skin.

"Stop!" I hiss. "You're hurting me."

She jerks her head to look me straight in the eyes, her face a shade of red and her teeth clenched. I gulp nervously and decide against any further protests. She looks away but quickly returns her cold brown eyes to me.

She pulls me away, towards one of the exits of the building. There are less people here.

"What's wrong?"

"You...you...you little..." She begins pacing around.

"Mason and I were fine," she mutters to herself, "we were fine before you came into the picture. I was going to get back together with him. Daddy, he...he told me M and I were going to inherit everything."

"Mary." No answer.

"Then you came along and now he's dancing with you and he kissed you."

"Mary." It is as if she cannot hear my voice.

"He's supposed to be mine. I'm supposed to get what I want. This, you coming here, was not for you to kiss him, it was for us to threaten him-"

A loud tune coming from her small clutch bag brings her pacing and muttering to a halt.

She fumbles with her bag, her face scorched with irritation. When she opens it, she takes out her phone and stares at the screen.

"A reminder to take my pills." She laughs then throws her phone at the wall.

I gasp, almost jumping up.

"Mary, Mary, what's wrong?"

"I did the same with your phone." She chuckles, her eyes focused on the scattered pieces on the floor. "Your parents just wouldn't stop calling."

Something is wrong with her.

"Mary, I'm going to get you help. I'll ask your bodyguard for her phone and we'll call Ophelia."

I turn around but just as I'm about to walk away, she grabs my arm.

"No, everything is okay. It's all alright." She smiles widely. "I'm okay with you taking Mason from me, I'm okay with my phone breaking, it's all okay."

"What are your pills for?"

She tightens her grip around my arm and I grimace.

"Maya! Stop! Don't ask me any questions."