Flower Arrangements and Spilled Secrets

I look at my arrangement of flowers in the vases distributed around the living room and smile, pleased with my work. After I finished up in the dining hall, I helped in the kitchen and then moved on to this room.

There were other volunteers today and I got to work with them. They're freshmen at another high school and were completing a project.  Unfortunately, they had to leave early.

"Those look very lovely." Mrs. Herman compliments with a toothless smile. She kept misplacing her false teeth so she gave up on wearing them.

"Thank you." I reply with a wide grin.

"Mrs. Herman, I have to get going but please say goodbye to Mrs. Coleman for me." She nods.

"Okay, I hope you'll come to see us soon."

"I hope so too." I give her a small smile.

After I wave goodbye, I take my backpack on the couch I left it on hours ago. I search the small pocket for my phone and take it out as I walk out of the large room.

Five missed calls!

"Who is this?" I don't recognise the number.

"Maya," I look up to find Charlotte, "your friend is waiting for you in the reception area."

"Mason?"

She shrugs, indicating her uncertainty but I know it must be him. I thank her and begin to walk away, increasing my pace. He must be the one that called.

I told him to give me his numbers!

He's the first person I notice when the reception area comes into view. There are a few people in the area now. Mason is sitting on the couch, nervously tapping his heel on the white tiled floor.

"Mason." He shoots his head up in my direction when he hears my voice.

"See, she's here, safe and sound." The receptionist says to Mason, smiling as she tries to focus on her computer screen.

"I tried to call you." He quickly stands up and starts making his way to me.

"I'm sorry," I begin to walk towards the door, noticing the attention were bringing to ourselves, "my phone was in my backpack."

"Banks, you can't be that careless." He sighs heavily and runs his hand through his hair. "You had me worried."

He looks down at me, straight into my eyes and I struggle to find the words to reply.

"I'm...I'm..."

"It's okay." A small smile appears on his face. "I'm just glad you're okay. Just, don't do that again, please."

I hear the despiration in his voice and nod, unable to say anything.

He unlocks his car and we open the doors and get in.

***

"Today was very fun," I say as I open the door, "thank you so much for taking me."

"It was nothing." He shrugs.

"Yeah but if it wasn't for you, I would've had to take the bus." We walk into the house and I throw my backpack on the couch.

"Gee, thanks, good to know that's all I was good for, a bus driver substitute." He chuckles.

I roll my eyes and shake my head.

"Would you like anything to drink?" I ask, on my way to the kitchen.

"Just a glass of water, please."

I take out two glasses and pour bottled water into one and mango juice into the other.