Chapter 14

"Are you ready?" Rita asked as she knocked on Trinity's office door.

"Am I ready for what?" Trinty looked at Rita, confused. It seemed that being the office pariah meant that nobody wanted to talk to her, which was very conducive to having a productive day.

Rita approached her desk and handed her a phone. "Levi wants you to use this."

"Why?"Trinty asked, looking at the phone.

"You'll have to ask him. I'm not sure. I'm going to give you a lift to your house to pack a bag and then drive you out to Levi's. He doesn't want you to be alone."

Trinity frowned. "Has your husband found out that Christopher is in town?"

"No, not yet, but Levi doesn't want to take a chance. Come on. I'm ready to call it a day, and since I'm your ride, you can't stay and work late tonight."

Trinity thought about arguing, but she knew Rita could be stubborn and make a fuss, and she was tired. "Alright, give me five minutes."

Rita nodded and headed back down the hallway to her office, leaving Trinity to wrap up her work and prepare to leave for the day. She was almost done when the phone Rita had given her rang, flashing Ben's name across the screen.

"Hey, Little Brother." Trinity couldn't help but be confused about how he had the number.

"Hey, Sis, how are you holding up?" He sounded concerned.

"Fine, why?" Trinity crossed her arms defensively, knowing she wasn't going to like the answer.

"I talked to Levi, and he told me what happened today."

"Did he?" Trinity's response was curt. "I'm guessing he gave you this number as well?"

"Yes, he did to both. He wanted me to try to determine whether Christopher is here in Savannah. He thought it might be quicker than trying to locate him there. Why don't you step out into the hall to take this call," he suggested. It was a suggestion which made Trinity nervous.

"Now, how are you doing, really?" Ben asked again.

Trinity felt tears start to form as she walked into the hall and towards the quiet end where the supply closet was located. "I don't know, Ben. Levi, Josiah, and Rita have been great, but everyone else is treating me as if I am a killer. Is this how you felt when it happened to you?"

"No, I honestly didn't care. I've never cared about what others thought. That was always the primary issue between Illiana and me. She was always about appearances." Ben's voice was soft. "Trinity, promise me you'll stick close to Levi, you'll let him take care of you."

"Ben, he hardly knows me, and he is my boss. I don't think it is appropriate. It's already bad enough that my working here could damage the reputation of his company." Trinity shook her head even though Ben couldn't see it.

"Trinity, think about it. Christopher has had to know where you have been for a while. I have a feeling he had been watching and waiting for the time to make his move."

Trinity grew cold at Ben's words, and she leaned her head against the window at the end of the hallway, the cold glass keeping her in grounded.

"Can you think of something that's happened lately? Something that might have spurred him to make this move, and why do you think he picked Dorthy out of everyone there to give the article to?" Ben's voice sounded urgent.

Trinity's mind raced as she tried to work it out in her head.

"Talk it through with me," Ben urged.

"I had dinner at Levi's last night," Trinity admitted, expecting Ben to tease her about it.

"Alone?" he asked.

"Well, Josiah stopped by for a minute, but I didn't stay long. I was only there for about an hour," she defended.

"Doesn't matter, Christoper probably saw it as a threat anyway."

"So, that means he is here?" Trinity couldn't suppress the feeling of panic in her voice.

"If he's not there, he is tracking you somehow. Now, why do you think he chose Dorthy?"

Trinity shrugged. "She's new. Levi hired her to help me, and I think she thought she was going to swoop in and take over my job. He wouldn't have sent the article to Levi, Josiah, or Rita because they don't believe it, but even if they did, they wouldn't share the information with anyone."

"And that's what he wanted." Ben finished for her. "He wanted Dorthy because she is eager to climb the ladder and she wants to be known in the company."

"How could he be tracking me?" Trinity asked, her mind jumping all over the place.

"I don't know. Maybe the GPS in your car or your phone. Maybe even your laptop," Ben concluded. "What are you going to do about tonight? I don't think you should be on your own."

"I'm going to stay with Levi." Trinity waited for his teasing, but once again he didn't give her a hard time about it.

"Good. Leave your phone and laptop at the office, can someone give you a lift there?"

"Yes, Rita is going to take me home to pack a bag and then take me to Levi's." Trinity could taste the fear she felt in the back of her throat. Was it really necessary to go to all of this trouble? If he knew where she was he could have gotten to her well before now.

"Keep this phone with you, but don't panic." Ben must have read her mind. "What Christoper really wants is for you to come home for some reason. I don't think you are in danger as long as you're there, but it is better to be safe than sorry." Ben tried to reassure her. It didn't make her feel much better.

"Levi's suggested that I go home to Savannah. He's offered to go with me," Trinity said, still having a hard time believing he would do such a thing for her.

"I know, he's told me. You could come home for Mom and Dad's anniversary party. They would love it. They would also like to meet Levi. I told them all about him." She could hear the grin in Ben's voice. Now he was teasing her.

"You told Mom and Dad about Levi! What did you tell them?" Trinity realized her voice had risen, and she turned to look down the hallway, relieved when she found it empty.

"Just that I liked him, and I thought you liked him too. Do you?"

"That's none of your business!" Trinity hissed.

"I'll take that as a yes." Ben laughed

"How do you know that my stuff is being tracked? And how did you know to get me another phone?" she asked in an attempt to change the subject.

"Rainer knows a guy who does covert for a living. His sister-in-law's brother-in-law is a SEAL or something like that."

There was a voice calling him, and he covered the phone and called something back.

"I have to go, Sis, be careful. I love you." Ben said before he ended the call.

"There you are, are you ready?" Rita asked, holding her keys.

Trinity nodded and went back into her office to get her coat and purse. It felt odd leaving her phone and computer behind.

"Is that all you need?" Rita asked.

"Yes." Trinity nodded. She refused to let the fear win.