5. We were never free

At long last, we had the option to clean up. Eden and I were unable to take each other's smell any longer. It was that awful. As the days passed by, it felt hotter and sweatier. The shower might not have been warm, but it was nice with a cold shower to cool ourselves down.

It was quite uncomfortable being exposed like that around other people, but everyone was so concentrated on getting clean and fresh. I do miss home, where I had my privacy.

My parents might not have had a lot, but they did have an old house that was passed down through my father's family. It wasn't big, but it was enough for us three. It was old, but it was home. Like every other low-income family, we didn't have much. The running water wouldn't always work as the government would shut it off occasionally. It hasn't rained in years and water has become a high demand for certain countries. A scientist created a filter to make it possible to drink tap water, but they are expensive for the government to install. There are a few places they have them, including a couple in the lower classes areas.

"Come on, let's go!" One of the guards shouts and we all hurry to get dressed. We have to be quick because another group is coming after us. I follow Eden with my wet towel in my grasp and remain behind her in line.

"Let's go!" He yells, and we walk after him, back to our sad cells, which have become our new home.

"That was nice," Eden says as she lays down in her bed.

"Yeah, I guess." I shrug as the view of our little cell brings down my mood again.

"Could have been worse," She tells me.

"Probably, yes." I sigh as I sit down on her bed.

"It hurts," I look at Eden, who seems concerned with what I said.

"Knowing that I won't be able to see my family, not being able to go out the door as if we are free," I explain myself. The freedom I had contained large amounts of books stacked on my bedside table. I would hide from the warmth of the sun read most days unless I was at work, of course.

"We were never free," She tells me, sadly.

"I know, but it was better than this," I argue and it was. Out there, I had options and as a teacher, I had the opportunity to sneak out a few books from the library. Since the authority doesn't have a big budget, the books aren't loaned out.

They are worried people won't return them, which is true. Lots of books have gone missing because they can be sold for a few pounds. I don't blame people for that because we are all desperate. We are all hungry and finding ways to feed ourselves shouldn't be a crime. What should be a crime is to let the government let their people starve to death.

"Well, at least tomorrow we get to go out," She smiles, and it almost makes me laugh at how excited she is about that.

"True, can't wait to get some fresh air," I say, and she nods as she pulls her sheet over her.

"I am going to take a nap," She closed her eyes and I leave her alone to go up in my bunk bed to try and get some sleep too.

"Food!" Guards hit on the cells; it's a stunt to unnerve us to make us move quicker. It works, however, and it's effective. Eden and I escape our beds and remain before our cells.

After the guard completed the process of tallying us to ensure we are for the most part here. Then we advance toward the eating lobby. We remain in line after each other to wait and see what horrendous meal the kitchen has cooked up.

I get a tray, and a woman dashes something onto it and smells like rotten eggs. I almost start to gag. Finally, Eden and I find our way to our usual table.

"I can't eat this," Eden says as she pushes her tray away from her and seems to need to throw up.

"What is this even?" She ponders and picks it with her spoon from a distance as though it had the option to explode.

"I don't know, something with meat, I think," I state as I take a spoonful of it and close my nose not to smell it. I put it into my mouth but spit it out right away. The best description I can find is as if it was like eating someone else's vomit.

The main door opens, and the woman with the black hoodie comes through the door, being escorted by a man like the other times. He moves her to a seat and eventually throws that horrible meal in front of her.

She lifts her head as if she were looking at the guard. Her face is covered with the black fabric. I believe she is blind, so she can't see anyways. Then she pushes her tray forward in disgust and sits there in silence.

"I guess she doesn't like it either," Eden says and sighs. I look at her then gaze back at the hooded woman.

"Can I come over?" I question her, and she turns to me.

"Sure," She answers, and I move over to sit across from her.

"Now that was rude," Eden says as she points her spoon at me.

"Enjoy your meal," I chuckle, and she rolls her eyes at me. I turn back to the woman in front of me, it is as if her eyes never left me, but I know she can't see me.

"Who are you?" I ask, so intrigued. She has such a dark and cold exterior. It's something about the strong jaw and her lips that always keep a straight line. The quietness adds a mystery to her, and I feel there is something about her she doesn't desire to be solved.

"I am no one," She says and I almost want to hit my head onto the table. Of course, she is not going to answer me.

"Okay," I sigh while I tap my fingers onto the table.

"Where are you from?" I ask, but still, she doesn't answer.

"You like things private, don't you?" I say.

"Yes," She tells me, and I nod even though I know she can't see me.

"All things considered, I do know that you like chess," I grin; however, she shakes her head.

"Not so much, really," She lets me know, and I watch her confounded.

"Then why do you play it?" I wonder, but like always, she remains quiet.

"What is your name?" I ask and hope to get an answer, but I realize she won't talk to me after a short moment.

"My name is River," I say and a tiny smile forms upon her face. It was not easy to see, but it's there. So I take that as a win for the time being.

The sound of the bell ringing interrupts our conversation. It means dinner time is over, and we have to go back to our cells. Everybody tosses their plate of food into the container, untouched.

Eventually, I get up from my seat to discard mine also.

"Harlow," I turn to the hooded woman.

"What?" I question as I tilt my head.

"My name is Harlow," She says, and a smile finds its way onto my face.

"It's nice to meet you, Harlow," I say, and I follow Eden. Before I step out the door, I take a last glance at her. A guard pulls her by the arm to get her out of the seat. I wonder why a woman who can't see is behind these walls.