FORTY

Lexie
Tuesday January 1, 2019

Dear Diary,

I'm going to be honest – I never thought I'd live to see the day where I would say this but... I'm engaged!

It happened last night, on New Year's Eve. We were attending a formal function hosted by one of Mark's colleagues. The night was a quintessential blend of upper-class soirée and business chic. Guests varied from business partners and associates to wives and friends-of-the-family. I felt a little lost and didn't know where I fit in amongst the elite. Mark did his best to make me feel welcome and introduced me to everyone he spoke with. He wore a dark tux and I was in a navy blue dress that was covered in sparkles. Before we left the house that night, he came up behind me as I did my makeup in the mirror and slipped a diamond necklace around my neck. "A gift to you," he said. It was so beautiful I nearly cried. He told me it completed my outfit. (I also think he did this so that I'd blend in and fit the bourgeoisie mould that all his friends possess. I'm not complaining though.)

The night was a blast. I drank expensive champagne and talked to important people. Everyone in attendance was much older than me, but I did find one girl who was closer to my age. Her name was Ruby and she told me that she was married to Christian Fitzgerald. I didn't know who that was, so she pointed to some rich-looking guy in a suit and I nodded my head in awe and feigned enthrallment.

The rest of the night is a bit of a blur to me as I had a tad bit too much to drink. I remember going out to the balcony and staring out across the city. It was so cold outside and the air was crisp. Mark came out at one point and led me back inside, then proceeded to feed me copious glasses of water.

The clock hit midnight and everyone cheered and clapped. I got to have the most perfect New Year's Eve kiss with Mark. It was right after this that he pulled away from me, got down on one knee, and pulled out a tiny square box.

I was a bit too drunk at this point, so I'm glad I was able to compose myself and not embarrass him in front of everyone. He said a little speech about how he's never felt this way about anyone before, and how I make him feel so happy and complete. He said he didn't want to spend another minute without having me as his wife, and that he would be honoured if I spent the rest of my life with him. I said yes, of course. Everyone was watching, anticipating my answer. Not that I would have said no. I love Mark! I think I realized this months ago, before we even began officially dating. I think I fell in love with him the night he spotted me at Rouge. The night we walked around the city and got burgers and shakes at three in the morning.

He has helped me immensely these last ten months, by getting me on my feet and ultimately inspiring me to change myself for the better and turn my life around. I don't know where I'd be without Mark. I am so grateful to have him and I can't imagine my life without him in it. I said yes because he is the man of my dreams and I want to marry him so we can spend every waking second together.

Everyone cheered and clapped some more as he slipped the ring on my finger. Then he stood up and scooped me off my feet and we kissed right there in the middle of the party, all eyes on us. It was magical. Everything I could have dreamed and more.